Chapter 37 Lyons, Colorado - Aurora

"Get back here---you know what? Fine, I'll find you when the screaming starts," I had higher aspirations for myself as a parent but here I am.

"I'm cold," Eris says, as she walks away from me in the department store. So, I deeply appreciate that Arthur vaguely tried to help me find my other kid he didn't have to do that and it was nice of him but. Lyons is still a really decently sized town. Despite the fact that they left most of it burned down. And she's little. The girls are just thirteen. Is she alone? Is he escorting her? Is someone else escorting her?

So the child I do have got hungry and apparently cold and just ---yeah she just warped away from me to do god knows what. You know what, fine. It's not like she can't take care of herself or warp her little self back if she needs to. If she has a fit like she did in the middle of the road I'll hear it and go and get her.  I want to find Brigit but I have no idea how to do that. Where is she going to be? And he just said she was going here---from where?

I have no clue what to do. Will she even recognize me after all this time? I'm sure she remembers me a little, but still. What's her hair like? They always had the boy's shaved off too short. Do they do that to girls? How long has she been loose? Did she just get out?

I sigh. I have to just trust that she's here. And she's coming home with me. And we'll be safe. We'll be a family again. A little one. But we'll be all right. I'll get gummy bears. Brigit loved gummy bears. I'll buy her a bag. So she'll know we remember her. And I want her home.

I almost don't notice the song as it starts playing overhead. It's just a song. Except it's not.

I smile as I listen to it. Stupid song so many years ago as Angel held me and laughed. Actually laughed. He never smiled enough.

I pick out the gummy bears and line up for the register. There are a few other shoppers. I'm smiling a little because today might be good. I might get Brigit back. He said I'd get her back. And that song is playing—

Again.

It's playing again. It's repeating. Which means it's not on the radio. Which means—

The radio goes to static. But I can hear it playing in the cars outside.

Fhat means he's here. Angel is here.