Chapter 29 Lyons, Colorado-14 years earlier - Sam

"Have you talked to Aurora?"

"It's five am," Arthur says, rubbing his short hair as we stand in the exercise yard. Our cells weren't ready. Apparently, we're back a day early. I don't much care; it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference. I am interested in our future attempt to escape, which will ultimately lead to our violent deaths. That should be diverting. As it is, I lean against the cement wall and stare up at the cool trees and try to figure out if at some point in my mind, I would have cared about anything. I used to wonder if I was always like this. Or if them taking me away made me the shell that I am now. But now I don't care. Because if that memory was at all what it appeared, I murdered my whole family because they were annoying me. So, I'm no better than Angel I guess. But I can strive to be different. It's the striving that gets me. I'll have a lifetime of striving for something tranquil some sort of peace. Only to wind up dead. I wish that wasn't what had to happen. But I've seen the world and it looks like it does.

"Five am hasn't stopped you before come on, tell her we're back," Angel pleads, "Then tell me what she said. God knows they'll have you in observations all day and you won't get the chance."

"Fine, what do you want me to tell her?" Arthur sighs a little.

"That we're going out tonight," Angel says, in his obvious voice.

"We are?" I kind of knew he'd want to do that. I swear to god he's gone through full on withdrawals from not kissing her in months. It's proof that I'm latently evil that I think it's funny.

"We are?" Arthur asks a little nervously.

"They dragged us off in the night to haul us a million miles away, just to hook you up to machines for months on end, yes, we are leaving, that was bull shit and they aren't doing it to you or any of us again," Angel says, annoyed, "We're going. Whether we have to steal a car or not. I'm not risking losing or Aurora or the three of us losing each other."

I shrug when they look at me.

"Guys, we're the only family we have," Angel says, "What if they'd decided to keep Arthur there? Or ship the two of us somewhere else? I lost my first family—I'm not losing this one."

Arthur is frowning.

"What?" if he says he can't find her ---

"I can't find her," Arthur winces.

"What?" Angel asks, the color draining from his face, "What do you mean?"

"Not yet---she's just not at her house---let me look, maybe she and her parents went out of town," Arthur says, quickly, before things start getting set on fire.

"Well, look!" Angel says.

"It took him weeks to find her before and she was in the same house, give him a minute," I say.

"Sorry---well if her dad is here; you can read his mind right?" Angel asks.

"I don't know who her dad is?"

"I'm gonna assume it's the guy who thinks he has a daughter named Aurora," Angel hisses.

"It's like, not that easy, I'll look, maybe she got a job and went in early---it's not a big deal," Arthur stumbles but his face is red. Oh it is a big deal.

I don't think she's in Lyons, but don't tell him that. I need to look more. Also last time I talked to her she at least thought she was pregnant---so that might explain why she's not right here. But I SOOO am not telling Angel that she can when we find her.

Okay good choice. So Aurora's knocked up that will so go over perfectly okay with Angel. Yeah, she can tell him that, not us. That is not information he needs when he's nowhere close to her and a lot of flammable people are in between him and her.