Chapter 30 Somewhere near a Cornfield - Aurora

"Get up---get up," Eris is lying on cement, bleeding and sort of sobbing to herself. The people around us are---dead. Extremely dead. Their eyes are popped out and grey brain matter oozes out past the horrible staring eyes.

"Get up, we need to go," I say, basically picking her up. She moans in anger, which is good; it means she's alive.

"Come on, we need to go," I say, hauling her bodily back towards the car. I have no idea how I plan on driving past those bodies. I have no idea how I plan on getting away. But we just have to go. Even if they do catch us, I have to find Brigit. I have to see her. Oh please, Arthur, don't be lying. Please let her be there. Please let her be there and safe so that I can just hold her one more time.

"I hate you," Eris whispers, as I shove her into the passenger seat, all bloody and crumpled up.

"Well I love you. And I'm going to do whatever I have to, to take care of you AND your sister," I inform her, as her blood drips from her face onto the already stained grey fabric. The hazy morning light drifts in as it's filtered by the waving corn stalks, a weird element of beauty on this hellish morning.

Eris shivers and sits there bleeding and miserable.  Her hair is messed up and dark locks hang in her face. Usually I take such care to braid or pull it back. Now it's just hanging there.

"We're going to get your sister," I inform her.

"He's probably lying."

"I don't think so."

"Why?"

"Because you just don't want to get your sister because you like being an only child, but if he were lying you wouldn't care you'd want to go fight with him. Therefore you don't think he's lying. And you're the one who reads minds."

She glares and says nothing, that means I'm right. After a moment:

"He's probably lying."

"Well he's my best friend so I doubt it."