Chapter 27 Outside Boulder Colorado-14 years earlier - Aurora

"You need a ride sweetheart?" the woman behind the wheel of the old truck is wearing loose, brightly colored clothes. Her hair is in many braids and pulled back. But even in the early morning light, her eyes are clearly kind.

"Yeah, actually," I say, swinging my backpack off my back and getting in the front seat.

"Where you headed?" she asks, kindly.

"Anywhere but here," I say, softly, "I ah---can't live at home anymore. I'm going into Boulder to look for a job."

"On foot? That's brave of you. You know, if you needed somewhere to stay for a little while you get on your feet, we always need help at the Farm," she says, as she slowly pulls back onto the highway. The glowing green trees start to slowly whip past us in the cold morning air. I realize I'm shivering a bit. My feet hurt already from walking and it's just been all night.

"Really? Where's your farm?" I ask, frowning. Staying nearby would be ideal, then I can meet up with Angel as soon as they bring him back to the facility. "My—" boyfriend or husband? "Boyfriend is um—--" what sounds really fierce like he is "-deployed right now. When he gets back we're gonna go south."

"Oh, that's nice. If you wanted your welcome to stay with us in exchanged for helping out with chores until he comes back," the woman says, kindly, "I'm Bea."

"Aurora," I say, "Is it like---your farm?"

"No it's not just mine. We're a community of people who---don't fit in everywhere else. We have our own religious beliefs and it's easier to practice them out here. But because we believe in caring for all people, we often help out those down on their luck. You can stay as long or as short as you like," she says. She seems genuine.

"What religion are you? If you are against unwed mothers I'm gonna have to find someplace else," I mutter, clutching my backpack against my stomach.

"No," she says, a little amused though not really surprised. I guess it's obvious. "We are fundamentally based in Christianity and it is in our teachings to care for those who go through troubled times not turn them away."

"How does it vary from---" what denomination are we supposed to be? "Like Protestantism and stuff?" like do they eat people? I'm waiting for the  part where they eat people.

"We believe that the Second Coming is upon us. Other nations have already identified individuals we recognize as Seraphim's although they are largely ignored. Our government, of course, denies their existence. However, we believe that the Seraphim's will herald the Second Coming," she says.

"Ah," okay they're a little weird but not dangerous. "What happens at the Second Coming?"

"The Savior returns in the form of man, to slay the oppressors starting with the Holy Trinity, and then through his power he shall protect us from the coming of the Beast," she explains.

"Huh," I have no opinion on that I'm really tired and sick all of a sudden.

"We don't expect you to have to have any sort of beliefs. We simply want to help our fellow man. You're more than welcome to stay and help out until your boyfriend gets back," she says.

"He should be back soon," I say, quietly. He'd better be back soon. I think I just joined a cult. I feel like Angel would really enjoy rescuing me from a cult. I also would really like that not to have to be necessary.