Chapter 34 - Gwen

Don't be alarmed
"You don't have to say that every time, Dano, it's fine," the first eight times, I might have had a complete panic attack. Now it's fine and I'm moderately attached to the violent person who jumped off a train to be dramatic.
Can you be ready tomorrow morning? Early?
"Yes, have you found anything more out?"
No more than I told you before. I don't understand how they could make him disappear. Based off of the relevant technology I saw in his memories---Mel and I estimate this was done to him forty or fifty years ago. I didn't tell him that; he wasn't fond of me being in his head.
"There should still be missing person reports—or an obituary---you said he looked the same, he was in the military there would have been pictures of him in the local papers---especially since you said he went missing then was found," I say, shaking my head. Jonah comes running in then looks disappointed it's a telepathic conversation. The police were surprisingly okay with me keeping him for now while they look for sane family members.
Precisely—something isn't adding up. Both children and his wife could very well be alive---even if they think he died, why haven't you found some picture of him, enlistment records, anything? Even without a last name, we know what he looked like, more than that; births are usually announced aren't they?
"They are, and we have both the kid's names and I've done searches; nothing in the right time period matches anyone of his physical description," I say.
I'm sorry there must be something I'm missing---I must have the completely wrong time—or they had the kids undocumented or---something. I don't know. I do know relevant information is stored in those servers, and the techs seemed to think that that was where information on where he'd come from would be. Carlos told me how to download it all to flash drive. I'll do that, he'll leave with it, and meet you later on. He has your number because I don't expect to be capable of coordinating it, I'm afraid.
"You don't think you'll get out too? Dano, I don't want you to hurt yourself doing this---it isn't worth it—he died a long time ago his family is at peace with that by now. And your dad wouldn't want you hurting himself for him," he's had his life. Dano is my age it looked like. And it might not solve anything. His dad wouldn't want him doing this and ---dying for him— is he thinking he'll die?
I don't expect he'll much care what happens to me. I might get out. But I highly doubt it. That place is built to stop me from warping myself out, and it'll be on fire. I'd sooner succumb to smoke inhalation in freedom though. We'll see. My dad knows where to go and where you'll be. They're going to be much, much more concerned about me than him; he's programmed not to hurt people, me not so much.
"He wasn't programmed to care about you though, was he?" I ask, realizing how his manner makes sense now.
Not so much, not that I necessarily deserved it. You should know I'm something of a problem.
"I think the part of him that is real did care about you, though. When you fell off that train the first thing he did was worry you were going to be shocked."
I know. We're cool. Thank you for what you've done. It is appreciated. I think the person he was would have appreciated it even more. Hopefully you can find his family one day.
"What about your family? You were separated too surely?" I ask. I don't know much about what they do with mutants but I do know they're taken from their families at a young age.
That's correct. From what I know it's highly unlikely that they'd want me back. All records pertaining to us are destroyed to prevent break outs. And I was taken from my mother at birth. I'm sure she's quite moved on by now and wouldn't want a convict showing up on her doorstep.
"There are DNA tests and a few organizations that search for mutant's families," I say, "I don't know about them, but I could look."
Don't. As my father will assure you it's much better off not to know me. I appreciate you though. Thank you for ensuring my dad's last days are peaceful. I am glad of that. He should get to go on.
"Please stay safe," I don't know what to say but I don't want him just dying like that. I hate that he's walking to his death just for his father's sake.
I will. Take care, Gwen.