20 : Confession

So there they were, sitting at Dana's living-room table, a mug of steaming tea between their hands, face to face. The brunette had both her feet on her chair, her chin's resting on her knees, distractingly looking at some photos on the wall behind Sukea. The man was looking quite anxious, sitting straight on his chair while trying not to look around. He didn't know the young woman had her own apartment. He had thought she was still living with Naruto. But she had explained, while preparing the tea, that her adoptive parents had bought her her own place, the apartment just next to theirs, for her to live when she'd be older. They hadn't predicted their own death, they had just took the opportunity when the couple living there before had moved out. That situation made him feel even more anxious than he was before arriving. They were alone in a private and intimate space, after all... He should really stop reading those Icha Icha books sometimes.

"So, you wanted to tell me your story with Kakashi?" Sukea said first, needing to break the tension.

"Right." Dana answered, finally looking at him. She had a strange smile on her face. "Well, where should I begin?"

"At the beginning?" Kakashi suggested.

"Sure." She had a smile that revealed her vampire-like teeth. "So..."

"Who is that, senseï?" Obito asked, curious.

Dana, 8 years old, short spiky black hair all around her face, was holding Minato's hand tightly has he presented her to his team. Her big turquoise eyes reflected fear, but a lot a determination too. It was the first time she was meeting new people since she had arrived in Konoha. She almost never left Minato's house, at first because she had to recover from her injuries from when she had fled her home-town, and after that because she was scared. Scared to meet the same angry and fearful eyes she had seen in Kiri since the day her brother had gone mad. Scared she would have to flee again, lose everything once more, end up alone, without a home, without anything but her oldest friend, her sword, the blood red reaper that she had called Crescent Rose. But there was just a hint of curiosity in the eyes of the three ninjas in front of her, and a soft and warm feeling was emanating from them.

"She's your new comrade from now on." Minato patted Dana's head with the hand that wasn't holding hers. "She doesn't know much people so I'm counting on you to be good friends for her, okay?"

"Sure, senseï!" The young Uchiha exclaimed before extending his hand. "I'm Obito Uchiha, and someday I'll be the strongest ninja in Konoha! Nice to meet you!"

It was overwhelming for the empathic girl to be around such an energetic boy. His aura was so bright that she had to close her mental walls a little. But after all the pain and negative emotions she had felt, that overly positive feeling emanating from the dark-haired boy was quite welcome. She smiled, for the first time since several weeks even if it was still weak, and shook the hand the Uchiha was offering.

"I'm Dana." Her voice broke afterwards, since it had been months since she almost hadn't speak, but it was a progress.

Then it was Rin's turn to greet her. The brunette immediately liked her, with her shining eyes and her kind smile, looking shy but still determinate. Dana finally let go of Minato's hand, before turning to look at the last boy, her smile a bit wilder than before. She froze.

"It can't be..." She thought. But when she looked at that spiky silver-hair, half-masked face and bored black eyes, she couldn't deny it any more. Sakumo's son...

And then, beneath the surprised eyes of everyone, she ran towards the boy who didn't have time to defend himself before their bodies collided. But, instead of feeling a blow, Kakashi felt feeble arms embracing him. He wasn't much taller than the girl, so he couldn't see her face, hidden with her hair and buried in his neck, but he suddenly felt it. Warm tears falling on his shirt, as the body pressed against his started shaking softly. It was the first time ever he felt what he felt that day. His arms closed on the girl's back, tightening their embrace, as he pressed his head against hers. Him, the cold-hearted ninja who would let his comrade down just to accomplish his missions, the one who didn't let anyone approach him and only glared at people, felt something entirely different bursting in his chest as he held that crying girl. An urge to protect her, at any cost. A violent desire to wipe away those tears and make her smile again. A force that wouldn't let him let go of her. And she felt it.

Dana raised her eyes to meet the boy's and the warmth that invaded her chest stopped her tears. If Minato had saved her life, gave her a new home and family, it was Kakashi that gave her hope and joy again. That made her willing to live and fight for her new life. Because in him she had found what she needed the most at this moment: someone to live for.

Dana didn't tell all this to Sukea, of course. She only told him part of the story, that she had fallen in love with Kakashi the moment she had met him and that he kind of saved her life that day.

"But why?" Sukea asked, profoundly moved.

"Why what?" The brunette asked.

"Why did you cry when you saw him for the first time?" He developed.

The young woman looked at him, then at his empty teacup.

"I think we both need something much stronger than tea before I tell you that, Kakashi."

The man chocked.

"What?! But I... How do you... Why..?" He stuttered.

"You really thought you could fool me, seriously? I mean, of all people, I must be the one who had the best chances to see through your disguise. I already saw your face before, remember?" She wink at him. "And I know you much too well not to recognize you, whatever your wearing."

Kakashi sighed, feeling a little betrayed, but couldn't say anything since he had started this. He took that opportunity to go to the bathroom to take off his lenses and make-up, as she was busy in the kitchen. When he went back in the living-room, she was sitting on her couch, patting the place next to hers to invite him to sit down. He timidly obliged and she offered him a bottle of sake.

"Believe me, you'll need it." She smiled maliciously, taking a sip of her beer.

He took the bottle and waited for her to speak.

"Okay, so... There's something I was meaning to tell you since quite a long time now, but it never seemed to be the right time, so I only do it today..."

She searched something inside her vest before slowly handing him an old picture.

"You see, the reason I cried the day I met you is because I knew your father."

On the picture was Sakumo Hatake, in front of a small wooden hut, chest covered with bandages, holding on his shoulder a little girl with spiky black hair and big turquoise eyes.