04

Ashton's POV:

I had assumed during the fight and when I didn't see them while we made our way to this pack that Ronaldo and Owen had been killed or escaped. Since we could only shift during raids to other packs and they never went with me or I with them, I didn't know their wolf forms. Picking up their scent was also out of the picture, since all I could smell was blood.

I was shocked and thrilled to see them in the house for Alphas, both alive and healthy. Of course, I feel bad to leave my mate, but I don't want to sleep alone in an unfamiliar place.

I turn to see my mate walking out of the building, and he looks defeated, but he's been so reassuring and kind that I don't think he'll reject me. Plus, if there was an option to stay in his bedroom, I'd be there right now as opposed to this other house.

I just don't like to sleep alone, but that was the only option at my mate's house.

The room we're staying in is spacious and warm, unlike the concrete one we lived in before. There are four smaller beds in the room, and they have frames unlike the one I used to use. It smells clean and I want to bury myself under the blankets.

"Who was that Omega?" Owen asks after we've all sat down on one of the beds. "He didn't have the same fear that the ones did back home..."

Ronaldo glares at him. "Don't call it our home, Owen. It never was our home."

Owen shrugs. "Fine. Who was that Omega, though? I noticed him walking with us on the way back and everyone seemed to listen to him... you don't see that every day!"

My cheeks redden. "He's my mate," I murmur, and my two friends gasp. "He saved my life."

"That's... wow," Ronaldo trails off, because none of us ever entertained the idea of being able to find our mate, much less being able to be with them.

The leaders in the past have taken mates away and claimed them in order to torture whoever found their mate. I'm beyond grateful that it didn't happen with mine, because that would kill me.

"I think I'm happy for you," Owen murmurs. "How the hell are you going to go about this, though? None of us has ever had a mate before..."

Ronaldo hums in agreement, laying back on his bed. "Ashton, where is Liam? I haven't seen him and I know he would room with us... do you think or know if he escaped?"

A choked cry escapes my lips before I can get a handle on myself. Ronaldo and Owen move to either side of me and guide me to one of the beds, holding me even though I haven't offered an explanation yet.

I know that they both know this story won't end well because when I finally relax enough to stop crying, I can see the tears in their eyes, though Ronaldo is controlling them better than Owen.

"You two weren't there," I say, wiping my eyes. "He woke me up and said we were under attack and that we could escape. He... you know he always dreamed of it, of escaping, but one of the leaders caught up with him and killed him. I couldn't save him."

My friends hug me even tighter, both of them trying to give me as much support as possible, but I feel so weak and sick.

Why couldn't I be stronger?

I'm an Alpha, we're traditionally meant to be stronger, but I wasn't enough to save my best friend.

Liam was a few years older than me, and ever since we were young, he would guide me and be my biggest source of comfort. Even though Ronaldo and Owen are close with me, I don't have the same strong connection with them as I had with Liam.