9

3rd Person

*So's residence*

"How's your first day? Did you have a hard time?" Their mom broke the silence on the table while looking at Ji-eun.

"It's good. Doyoung's my classmate he helps me a lot." She answered and continued eating.

"Did Yedam take you home?" Their dad said without looking at them.

"No." Ji-eun answered. "He doesn't need to anyway."

"You need to know each other, so you need to stick together. The engagement's coming up." The seriousness on his tone made them stop eating. 

"I didn't even agree to it. This is my life I get to decide what I want and who I want to marry. Stop treating me like a foster dog that's being re-homed every time." She accidentally raised her voice 'cause she can no longer control her anger.

A loud sound startled them when his father smash his utensils on the table. He stood up and points his fingers at his daughter.

"See? That's what I'm talking about. That happens when you've been raised in a low class family! Disrespecting your own parents?!" His voice is now echoing the entire room.

"No, you're the one who's disrespecting me and my decisions in life! This has nothing to do with those people who raised me!" She shouts between her sobs. "What's in it for me? Do you really think my life will be better if you marry me off?"

"Honey, stop this." her mom is trying to calm them down. "Ji-eun go to your room first. You too Junghwan."

"You, follow me on my office." He pointed at Ji-eun.

✏✏✏✏✏

Yedam

I'm strumming my guitar as I complete the melody of the song I'm trying to make when my phone rings. Unregistered number flashed on the screen so I ignored it. It rang again, this time I answered it.

"Who's this?" I answered.

/It's me. Can we meet up?/ Her voice sounds strange. This is not like the usual her.

"Where? Do you want me to pick you up?" I asked as I put my guitar on my bed.

/No, let's just meet at the park near the school./

"Okay. I'm on my way." I went out of my room and went downstairs to grab the car keys on the drawer.

"Where are you going?" I saw my dad coming out of the kitchen with a whiskey on his hand.

"Uh, meeting a my  fiancée?" He smiled and continued walking upstairs. 

I walked out of the house and walked straight to my car and started to drive. Its not so long before I reached the park and I saw her on one of the swings. I turned off my engine and grab the jacket on the back seat.

She's staring at the floor and didn't noticed me standing beside her. I put the jacket on top of her shoulders that made her lift her head. Her eyes are glittery I can see that she just cried.

"What happened? Why do you want to meet? Are you going to back out from the engagement?" I jokingly asked her. Knowing that she's with Jihoon-hyung gives me this clue.

"No, let's do this." I was taken aback from her answer. Well I didn't expect that.

"W-- why?" What the heck did I just say?

She sighed then continued talking.

✏✏✏✏✏

Ji-eun

"You see, the only reason why they found me is because my foster father reached out to them. He wants me to have a better life because we're struggling financially my mother is sick and hospital bills are so expensive." I'm telling him the reason behind my decision I wat to be transparent to him to make this agreement work.

"Then?" He said.

"Well you see I made an agreement with them to help my foster family and I will come with them." I took a deep breath before I continued. "Earlier, my dad show me the hospital bills. The money they gave them is not enough to cover everything. She's  now on therapy and if I did not marry you, he will stop supporting them" I can't take it anymore, my tears starting to fall.

He started patting my back and saying that everything will be okay. When I clamed down, all I can hear is an awkward silence between us.

"Do you know why I agreed to this engagement?" I shook my head. I never really thought about it. I just know that he's okay with it due to family business.

"Well, all my life they're controlling me. I grew up following all their orders on what should I do with my life." He smiled faintly.

"Sorry I didn't know you're having a hard time as well." He patted my head that made my heart flutter. Why am I like this?

"This marriage is my last mission. They made an agreement with me that after this, I'll be free. I can do whatever I want." He looked up to the sky. I can't help but stare at his face. He then looked at me with a hopeful eyes. "This is my last hope you know."

He broke our staring contest and continued talking.

"Let's get married." He look at me sincerely.

"This is not the type of proposal I've been dreaming of, you know." I said with a little chuckle.

"I need you, you need me. That's all that matters." I hope so. 'Cause we're both at the dead end now.

"Is it really okay to get married to someone you don't --- you know, love?" I'm embarrassed to ask it but my curious mouth can't stop it.

"Well, If you're worried about that, we can just file a divorce after 3 years? That's  all the time we need before the assets can be transferred to us completely." He calmly said.

"Do you think it will work?" I asked him. Still uncertain of the result but nothing will loose if we try as long as we'll both benefit from it.

"It'll be just for a few years. After that, you are free. So deal?" He offered his hands and I gladly accepted it.

"Deal." He smiled.

🍭💕🌸 Ella's note 🌸💕🍭

We're now done with the family drama. Thank you for reading.

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ