CHAPTER 79 - SAFE

The next morning, Draco woke up to a light pressure on his lips, which he completely surrendered to. Because any morning where he felt lips against his was a wonderful one. 

But this was more than a wonderful morning. It was beyond any good word that Draco could find for it. "Mm."

"Good morning," Harry whispered against him, his nose bumping softly into Draco's as he pressed their foreheads together. 

"It's more than that. It's the best morning in the entire world." He couldn't help but beam and kiss Harry several more glorious times as he sighted his arm around him, pulling him down the length of both of their bodies. "I get to wake up next to you." He kissed his lips more, which Harry accepted openly, letting his hand find its way under Draco's shirt, his fingertips tracing slowly under his skin. Mine, he thought. 

"How does it feel waking up to be a free man?"

The lightness in his heart was beyond indescribable as Draco opened his eyes, getting a perfect view of Harry's smile. Draco immediately smiled back at him. And then he thought. "Amazing. Peaceful." And then, "Overwhelming." 

Harry adjusted so their legs were intertwined. "How so?"

"I haven't been innocent since I was fifteen. I hope I know how to do it properly." Draco looked between his eyes. 

"It looks good on you," Harry bumped noses with him again and let his fingers move up Draco's back.

"To be fair, everything looks good on me."

Harry laughed sweetly, and so did Draco. "I've never heard a truer statement."

Draco blushed and bumped their noses together before he dove for several warm, long, happy kisses. They took their time, lavishing in it. Enjoying it. Letting all the goodness and happiness in the world surround them. 

Because they were free. They got to do this. There weren't any more obstacles, they'd conquered them all. All their dragons were slayed. All their monsters were beaten, and they were finally just living with the traumatic shadows as was expected. 

After many more pecks, Harry pulled back. "We get to go to class together," he spoke with both glee and awe. "Holding hands. Actually holding hands. With no reservation. No fear. No hiding. No feeling guilty. We can actually say that we made it." Harry's heart beat quickly, and Draco could feel it since they were chest to chest. And Draco loved it, because he remembered a mountain made up of days he worried Harry's heart wouldn't beat anymore. And now, it would, and it did strongly.

"This has been the most insane week," Draco let out a light laugh, hugging him tighter.

"Absolutely insane," Harry agreed, looking in between his eyes. And then he thought. "I get to wake up to you every single day like this. For the rest of our lives."

"I can't believe it," Draco couldn't keep his eyes from watering, but to keep it from getting any more than that, he rolled on top of him and pressed more and more kisses to Harry. They both adored the sweetness, the calmness and absolute joy that came from their new and permanent reality. He knew it in his soul that he was telling the truth: "We get to be happy."

Their first time holding hands on the way to class was wild to say the least, which was an odd thing to describe such a simple action. But it was something they'd never done, could never do without consequences.

It so peaceful they couldn't stand it. They just simply didn't know what to do with the lack of fear. 

Plenty of students watched them - it was odd for them, too - and Draco didn't care. He got to show off the love of his life to the world, letting them all know that Harry was his. And Harry held his head high, as well, proud that Draco Malfoy was his. Proud of who he was. Proud of what they'd been through together.