CHAPTER 13 - THE GAME BEGINS

Neither of them were quite sure when they fell asleep, but they knew they had to have, because a loud crack! down the Hospital Wing corridor caused them to jerk awake.

For a few seconds, they didn't even remember where they were or why they were there, but the sound of footsteps made Draco climb off the bed and sprint to the wall. He flattened himself against it, hoping whoever was coming in wouldn't notice him as they walked past.

Harry pulled the covers over him and faced the other way. The doors opened and heels clicked to Harry's bed. "Potter, are you awake," McGonagall asked.

Harry took a few seconds and exaggerated his waking, rolling over and frowning. Damn, he was just as good of an actor as Draco. "How are you feeling?"

Harry swallowed and winced, remembering what had happened.

"I understand you may not want to take part in any activities, but I encourage you to get a bite to eat, see some friends. Madame Pomfrey informed me you are free to go." Her voice was soft and as caring as Harry had ever heard it. "Last's night's event was traumatizing, but it would be best if—"

"I'm fine," Harry said, but Draco could tell in his voice that he wasn't.

All Draco wanted to do was go over and hug him. Draco didn't even care about how messy his own hair was or how he didn't look perfect. He wanted to be there for Harry again.

Then he thought about holding Harry in his arms and how wonderful that felt. Maybe they could do it again when they come back next term. So long as they both actually came back.

"Very well, Mr. Potter. If you wish to talk..."

Harry didn't hear the rest, him being focused on getting his ferret out of the room before McGonagall turned and caught them. Thankfully, she looked beyond Harry and to the stained glass windows along the walls, giving Harry a chance to glare at Draco, his dagger eyes darting towards the door twice as a warning.

Oh sorry, Draco mouthed. He tiptoed out of the room as quietly as possible, and once he was gone, Harry yearned to have him back.

They didn't get to see each other for the last two days, which bothered them both because there wasn't any time left before they had to leave for the summer. In the meantime, they had Cedric Diggory's funeral, and they had to say goodbye to their new friends from other schools as they departed.

On their last day, Draco received a note at breakfast.

Hike?

Draco looked up and nodded, Harry's eyes connecting with his for less than three seconds, and they got the message. They staggered as they left the Great Hall to keep suspicion down, gave their excuses to their friends, and met at their spot within the hour.

They walked out of view of the stone circle and hid next to the bridge. Draco immediately hugged him. "How are you feeling?"

"My scar's tingling. It's weird. I don't think it's going to stop."

Draco hugged him harder.

"The Diggory's came to see me yesterday." Harry swallowed sharply. "They said they were proud of me. I got their son murdered, and they said they were proud of me."

"It wasn't your fault."

"Cedric told me to go, and I told him I wanted to go together. Kill the spare. He was just a spare, that's what Voldemort called him."

"There's nothing you could have done. You did your best." Draco hugged him as long as Harry needed, which was quite a while. "How's your arm?"

"Doesn't matter. The thought of my blood being in his body is way worse than a scar. I was part of the ritual. Without me, it wouldn't have happened."