CHAPTER 20 - THE BET

Fresh snow littered the grounds as November came to a close, and, despite Draco's sweet efforts, the dreamless sleep potions didn't work.

But, Harry didn't want to tell Draco that because (1) Draco would probably think that it was his potion making skills and Harry didn't want to make him feel bad. Draco was brilliant at potions. He shouldn't lose confidence because Harry's body was weird. (2) it was really nice having someone care for him, not that Draco didn't or Hermione didn't or Ron didn't. Plenty of people did, but the way Draco did it made Harry's heart swell. And (3) they got to spend more time together.

Not a lot, but spare moments after classes or during lunch to brew more. It gave them an excuse to be with each other, even if Harry had to lie to his friends more than usual about it.

Hell, this year had been so horrible, mostly. It was easy to isolate himself. His friends, being awesome friends, gave him space. All he had to do was ask—though that boundary wasn't set until after a bit of a row.

"Why can't you just let us in," Hermione had asked him.

He didn't mean to be unkind to them, but just wanted his space. "I just need to be alone."

"Are you actually being alone, or are you hanging out with your girlfriend?"

Harry frowned. "Why is that a problem?"

"It's not. That's my point. You don't have to hide that from us," she said.

"Blimey," Ron crossed his arms, "you're still dating her?" Harry didn't say no. It had been ten months. That was a long time. "Are we ever going to find out who she is?"

"Yes," Harry grit his teeth. "One day, maybe."

"Isn't it kind of weird she doesn't want anyone to know..."

"Considering Voldemort's back, no. Not really," Harry said.

"But before that."

"She has strict parents," he argued. "I get you want to know, but... what we do is between us. I'm sorry. You know I love you guys."

"It's just that you've come out of your shell a lot. You seem happier because of her," Ron said. "It's great. I just wish I knew her so I could thank her."

"I am happier," Harry said.

"Do you love her?"

"Yes." There wasn't any hesitation.

And then he realized. There wasn't any hesitation. He loved Draco? Wait? Yes!?

"Are we not good enough for her?"

"It's really really really not that, I promise. If it helps, she asks about you. She wants to get to know you if... you know, everything wasn't going on."

"Are you embarrassed of her?"

"No," Harry said. "I'm proud, really. Guys, there isn't anything more than we just don't want to tell people."

"We won't get in the way. We just wish you'd trust us enough to tell us at least who she is so we can help protect her," Hermione frowned. "She can join Dumbledore's Army."

"We don't even know if the DA is going to be a thing. It's just an idea. And I don't want you to. She's smart, and she's strong. And the fewer people that know, the better, the safer we are. If Voldemort knows..."

"We're not going to tell anyone, mate."

"I know Ron, I really do."

"Do her friends know," Hermione asked.

"No," Harry lied, though it burned. "It's equal on both sides. Please don't stalk me. Don't try to figure it out. I don't want you to. Please, just give me this one thing. I won't trust you anymore if you try to." Then he added, "You know our friendship means the world to me, right?"