Chapter 19

Sapnap could still remember the incident well, which had happened several weeks ago. It was only shortly after Quackity's accident that noises in the house jolted him from his sleep one night. The noises eventually led him all the way to the bathroom. At the sight, it almost tore his heart apart, because Karl had a breakdown next to the sink.

Karl had immediately clung to Sapnap, as if letting go of him, he would forget him. Confused, Sapnap let his gaze wander around the room as he held his boyfriend in his arms. He had immediately noticed a small crumpled note on the floor. Under the heading "Don't forget your Family" were written names in shaky handwriting, especially two girls' names with a small smiley, and the writing "Lil sisters" stood out among the names. After Karl had calmed down enough to talk, he told him that he could no longer remember the names and voices of these people. Every single person in his family was only a distorted silhouette in his mind.

The next morning Karl acted untouched and he was not sure if he was pretending or had already forgotten the incident. His worries drove him to Phil and Techno, to whom he reported Karl's symptoms. Although even these very experienced men were unsure, they did their best to prevent his memory loss. Technoblade worked over the next few weeks on a variation of potions. They did not bring the memories back to him, but the process of forgetting was slowed.

Even though Sapnap and Karl were grateful for the work Technoblade had done, the Piglin hybrid was not satisfied and worked harder and more desperately, causing Karl to drink the strangest kinds of potions that occasionally led to violent side effects. Sapnap also partially blamed them for Karl's nightmares. Even though the brown-haired did his best to hide his real mental state from him and especially from Quackity, the shadows under his eyes became bigger and bigger and the slight trembling in his joints more and more noticeable.

But this morning, when Sapnap was awakened by little kisses and a soft giggle from Karl, there seemed to be a little glimmer of hope in his boyfriend's eyes. Quackity had apparently snuck out long ago because Karl was alone in bed, all the covers in the bed pulled to his side.

"Are you all right?" murmured Sapnap, his voice slightly scratchy from sleep. Half asleep, he rubbed his eyes and stretched his body. Karl nodded and was immediately met by a sleepy but longing kiss. It stayed like that for a while, and as Karl melted into the kisses, Sapnap grinned into them. Until Karl pulled back and took the Blaze's face in his hands. The latter pursed his lips and looked at the smiling brown-haired.
"Why are you in such a good mood?" asked Sapnap finally, and Karl turned away from him to sit up in bed and stretch.

"I remembered something from home after I woke up," he muttered, " Plus, there were no weird nightmares."
Immediately, Sapnap had sat up and placed both his palms on the brown-haired boy's shoulders.
"What, really?", the Blaze was surprised, almost hysterical with joy. Karl's cheeks were red and he squinted his face a little at his boyfriend's reaction.
"Yeah, maybe Technoblade's potions are finally working," he concluded.

A huge weight was lifted from Sapnap's heart and for a short moment, it seemed as if it would not all go downhill with them anymore. Quackity was getting better every day at using his prosthesis and was allowed to use it more and more and now Karl's condition was also getting better and as long as his two friends were on a good path, Sapnap was also doing well. He sometimes felt like he was worrying so much about Karl and Quackity that he was hardly paying attention to himself. But just at that moment, he couldn't be happier and he pulled him closer to him, pressing another kiss to his lips.

Instead of getting up, the two spent some more time in bed and Karl told Sapnap about the memories that had popped into his head that morning. With a warm heart, the Blaze Hybrid watched his boyfriend talk with excitement and nervousness about a game he and his sisters used to play when they were little. While he didn't understand every word and had no idea what a pirate was, the look on Karl's face as he told him the story made him smile.