𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙾𝚗𝚎

"Ma, I'm going to be fine," I whine.

My mom was helping me unpack some of my stuff, but we finished 30 minutes ago. I wanted my own time before my roommate came. I wanted to enjoy it because I had no idea who the person was.

"Mi know, but mi baby ah grow up," she cries.

I sigh and pull her into a hug, if I reassure her then she will go. I loved my mom, but I was 18 and it was my first year in college. I was grown up and didn't need babying. Her intentions were innocent, but I just wanted her to leave.

"I will always be your baby ma, but I'm older now," I replied softly.

She sniffles into my shirt and I pat her head.

"Gyal tek yo bludclart hands-off mi head," she snaps.

I stop patting her head. I always did that so she would get off of me, she hates when I do that. She stopped sniffing and pulled away from me. She stopped crying and stood straight.

"Now listen to mi likkle gyal, mek sure yah behave yourself out ya, an focus pan yo grade dem. Don't mek come up ya cah yah ah cause problems," she told me.

Whenever she spoke to me in her Jamaican accent, I knew she was serious. My mom never really played around, when it came to my education. I was grateful for that but wished she would lay back sometimes.

Considering the past and what happened in the last few years. Of course, she would be worried about my well-being and staying safe. Plus she worked hard to get me to this college, I worked hard as well. We both put effort into just getting here. It's the fact I'm here now and want to enjoy it to an extent.

"I understand, now lemme get some rest please," I begged.

She kisses her teeth and picks up her bag. She looks around the room, double-checking to make sure she has everything she needs.

"Byee and I love you," She smiles.

"I love you, mummy," I replied.

She left the room and I know she probably started crying after. I was sad that I won't see my mom as often anymore. The feeling of independence feels great and the fact I won't have to do drug tests every single fucking week.

I was alone and wanted to get all of my things out of the way. I pray to god that I don't have a nasty roommate. I did a quick clean and spray down. After cleaning, I unpacked the rest of my things. It was a lot of work, but it was fun.

I felt bigger and felt proud of myself that I made it this far. The other side of the room was still empty. The room looked odd, because one side was bare, while the other had Manga prints, photos, and Led Lights hanging up.

I was pleased with my work, and it kind of felt at home. All that was needed was incense and music.

I opened up the window and looked outside. People were walking around and minding their business.