NEW: 47. Workaholic

Start from the beginning

“You failed miserably,” I say as he takes the seat next to mine

“I never said I tried very hard,” Luke shrugs, putting three pancakes on a plate and setting it in front of me

“Didn’t you?” I glance at him from the corner of my eyes before I grab the syrup and pour it over my plate

A small sheepish smile tugs at his lips “It was more of a petty revenge.”

I fake a gasp, crossing my arms as I turn to him “What are you? A ten year old?”

“You pissed me off,” Luke holds up his hands in surrender

“I pissed you off?” I poke his arm “Not that immoral guard of yours?”

“He did too,” Luke nods “That’s why I fired him.”

My eyes widen “You did?”

Come to think of it, I never saw that guy around the pack

“Of course,” Luke shrugs a shoulder “He was from the last pack I visited. Apparently, his Alpha had a way of showing companionship by sending one of his warriors to our pack with me. But he got himself fired before we could make it.”

I nod, processing this information.

“Go ahead,” Luke hands me a fork and knife “Try it.”

I take the fork and knife from him, an excited grin takes over my lips as I stare at the most perfect pancakes ever made.

I take the first bite, making a dramatic show of gauging the taste. I turn to Luke who’s watching me with a glint of anticipation in his stormy eyes.

“Well?” He probes

I shake my head “I’m disappointed, Luke.”

The look on his face is almost comical, a mixture of confusion and worry sprinkled with mortification.

A cackling laugh bubbles past my lips “Seriously, why haven’t you ever cooked for me before? It’s delicious!”

An all too familiar scowl reaches his face, but the relief in his gaze in unmistakable.

“That was just cruel, Hazel.” He clicks his tongue “making a man feel mortified in front of the girl he loves.”

I choke on my food “W-What?”

Luke hands me a glass of water, I gulp it down as his lips curve in a lazy smirk.

“The girl I love, my soulmate, the only one I’m ever cooking for,” He drawls out “Meaning; You.”

I try to keep a straight face but fail miserably when a smile fights its way on my face.

“Where did you pick all the lines from?” I ask

“I’m just saying what comes in mind when I think of you,” Luke says

My heart flips at the sincerity in his voice, smiling that ridiculous smile again, I take another bite of my breakfast, sighing in happiness.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” I ask him

Luke promptly leans forward, eying the fork in my hand. With a little smile, I hold up a piece of pancake for him.

Then put it right into my mouth.
Luke blinks, and I burst out laughing again. Too good, this day is starting out too good to be real.

Then his eyes narrow in playful challenge and the next thing I know, two arms wrap out my waist and I find myself in his lap.

“Something tells me you like the food more than you like me,” Luke says, nuzzling his face in the crook of my neck, making me laugh yet again as his hair tickles my skin

“What gave it away?” I manage to pull myself away just enough to see his face

“You never look at me the way you look at food, Hazel.” Luke chuckles

“Maybe it just that you’re the one who made this for me,” I say, then turn around and take another piece of the pancakes and hold it out to him

Luke eyes me suspiciously before he takes it in his mouth.

“Hmm,” he says after swallowing “I suppose it does taste good enough to be worshipped.”

He smiles down at me and I find myself retuning it. My heart feels so full with emotions, I might just start overflowing.

The idea of mates never thrilled me romantically. It was just the perfect plan of escape. I never even went far enough to think if I would fall for my mate for any other reason that our bond. Maybe not even for that.

Now as I sit in this kitchen, eating food that someone made specially for me, a strange sort of warmth spreads through me. The kind that I haven’t felt never before, like the warm shower of sunshine after a long winter.

I reach up and press a soft kiss to his lips.

“Thank you,” I say softly “Thank you for the lovely surprise.”

His own lips curve upward in a smile that’s been showing up more and more often. A smile that has somehow gathered everything I love in one place.

Luke takes my hand in his and brushes a kiss to my knuckles.

“You don’t have to thank me, Elise.”

Please comment and vote!