Chapter 118: Jake

Start from the beginning

"No," he corrected me and chuckled. "I want to marry her once we're done with school but I hope I have your blessing for whenever I ask her."

This cocky son of a -

My thoughts spun at how technically Logan asked me but spoke in a tone like he informed me of his predetermined plans. Since part of me hadn't gotten past the next few days, I clarified, "Which is not this weekend, right?"

"No," he repeated. "But it would mean a lot to both of us if I had your... blessing."

The weight of his words and the responsibility he'd transferred from Dad onto me that they carried squeezed a tightness in my chest that appeared any time I thought about Dad since his funeral. In a stall tactic, I parted my dry lips and wet them gently with my tongue while I really studied Hightower's reaction. He offered absolutely nothing other than an expectant look in his eyes while he silently waited for my reaction.

"I'll think about it," I replied after a few moments of silence. "But if you treat her wrong then I'll bury you six feet under."

"Not a word to anyone," he warned me. "Ellie's going to need us in the courthouse next month, let her get through that first."

My entire mood changed at his reminder. I'd had several reactions to the news that Ellie was summoned to testify against Ryder after Mom told me the first night I'd gotten here on winter break. While part of me hoped the sick fuck who'd assaulted my sister finally rotted in jail, none of me wanted it at Ellie's expense.

"Whatever she needs," I assured him and attempted to calm the anger that surged through my veins the more that piece of human waste occupied my thoughts.

With a quick nod and awkward handshake, Logan turned and stepped back up the stairs. Before he exited the garage, he tossed over his shoulder, "Thanks Jake."

"Right..." I mumbled. Right when the door clicked shut, I leaned back against the car, which lurched under my weight, and ran both of my hands over my hair until they clasped together behind my neck.

My younger sister, married... insane.

The flurry of activity before we boarded our flight to Calgary was a welcome distraction

The flurry of activity before we boarded our flight to Calgary was a welcome distraction. I wasn't entirely sure why we vacationed in Canada but Mom made the reservations at some ski resort in British Columbia but the Calgary airport was closer. In a moment of irony, I laughed when our Air Alaska flight had a layover in, of all airports, SeaTac.

Mom tripled-checked our papers, passports, and luggage, packed us snacks the airlines for sure tossed out before we entered the security line, and drove us to San Jose's airport. A grin spread wide across my face when I slid into the last row seat of Mom's minivan next to Harper. Even though I felt more cramped than a sardine can, the lack of space gave us a close proximity that I intended I used to my full advantage.