Chapter 5: Ellie

"This is ridiculous!" Dad's palm smacked down on the desk of the unfortunate older woman in the Student Housing Association's Office. She flinched back and her thick, black framed- glasses nearly slid off her nose in response to the loud sound Dad's hand had made, which also drew attention to those in line behind us.

With practically just one look at Logan, Dad angrily marched over here and basically demanded I needed alternative housing. We waited in a small queue until Dad unleashed his wrath on this poor... Phyllis, at least going off her name tag.

With one look at Logan, my mind had locked up in some kind of mental blue screen state of existence. I couldn't process how, of all the college football guys in the country, Logan was not only here but my roommate. I hadn't blinked for fear he wasn't really there and while I'd stood frozen, the only thoughts that my brain had registered weren't entirely appropriate for that moment. And they only got dirtier the more I thought about him.

Damn he's hot. Even hotter than in his pictures.

How is that possible? How!?

My lower lip rolled under at the mental reminder of his handsome face and ridiculously cut body. I'd been around meaty guys of all shapes and sizes with no effect on me, but one look at Logan and drool practically ran out the sides of my mouth. Logan had always been muscular but now he looked... less boyish and all man.

But... Why is he here?

He is anything but a benchwarmer.

At one point Logan had mentioned Coach Peterson suggested Logan went to a smaller scale team for two years, played as much as he could, then transferred. Emmitt Verns was the Huskies' senior starter quarterback, which burned one question into my mind.

Did Logan... plan this? And what the heck is Charlie thinking?

Obviously, I needed more than a one-word gawking session to get to the bottom of everyone's motivations. Unfortunately, none of the answers I wanted were available where my parents and I had gone.

"Dad, calm down," I muttered at him since his outburst attracted the attention of, well everyone. That included an exhausted-looking kid who slumped over behind us.

"I will not calm down!" He turned towards the poor receptionist and continued his embarrassing rant like she had anything to do with it, "My daughter will not be living with a damn football player. Especially that one!"

Oh my. Ground swallow me up whole.

"Mom." My pleading eyes turned towards her as my whole face and neck warmed. "This is so embarrassing."

"Dale." She placed her hand over his still-flat palm on the desk. "Calm down, or you'll have a heart attack."

"Not now, Gianna," he snarled over his shoulder.

"Sir." Phyllis' blue eyes narrowed and her voice turned ice-cold. "Please wait in the lobby and let me speak with Miss Eleanor Harrison."

My eyes tracked Mom while she steered Dad out of the office and into the building's lobby area. When I turned back to the counter, Phyllis had transformed back into her most likely normally pleasant woman persona. Her gray hair was tied up in a tight bun, an equally tight smile stretched her lips thin, and she looked straight at me.

"I'm really sorry about..." My hand waved behind me at the loudly huffing presence that now paced back and forth in the lobby. "That."

"Wouldn't be the first time." Phyllis averted her eyes to a computer screen off to her left side. "Now, let's see what's going on."