Here Comes Trouble || .007

Start from the beginning

          "I give you a second and you say that." She shook her head and scoffed. "No. I shouldn't have to answer the fucking question but no. You've just been a jealous bitch the last few months. That's all that's gone on. "

            Martin sighed, almost wishing that he could believe that. He let his jealousy get the best of him too many times. "So not the last seven months then. We've been together longer, and I've heard of him before. Andres, not Berlin. Has anything happened between Ava and Andres?" He was speaking quieter now when he used their real names. Ava shook her head in disbelief that he was still speaking about the same topic. He had never specifically asked her that before, so she had no reason to lie. But she did now because something had happened in the past. Years ago, but it did happen.

           "Yeah," Ava admitted. She could see the defeat in Martin's face as it fell completely. He was expecting that answer, but it didn't make it any easier. He wasn't oblivious to the looks that they were giving each other even on the day that he showed up at their apartment. They seemed to look at each other longingly.

          "He's the one you lost it to, yeah?"

          "Yeah." Ava sighed, a frown forming on her lips. She was thankful that it came out now because it seemed to be eating her alive, even if it was years upon years ago.

          "He was what? Twenty something years old sleeping with a sixteen year old?" Martin tightened the grip on his gun in anger. Ava almost wished she had taken it before mentioning anything.

           "He didn't take advantage of me. I wanted it." She didn't want to start a fight on their first night at the Mint. It was crucial that they all learned to work together if they were to succeed. "But that was ages ago, and I don't feel the same way about him anymore. I've been trying to tell you this all along, but you never listen." The lies kept slipping out, but she couldn't bring herself to tell him how much she longed to touch Andres. "I'm not going to plead with you to trust me, Phoenix. You need to learn to trust both me and Berlin, or this is over. I can't keep begging for decency when I haven't done anything wrong except what you asked of me."

          Martin nodded slowly. He wanted to run off to find Berlin and leave him with a bullet in his chest, but he forced himself to stay put, trying to work it out with Ava first. "He might've been your best friend growing up, but are you so sure of his loyalty now? I feel like you trust him with everything in you and it's going to get you killed. He's not a stable person. Hell, he pulls a gun on everyone!" Ava's face was flat as she stared at him silently. She had nothing else to comment on because she knew he was speaking from insecurities, even if Berlin was an unstable person. She trusted him completely with her own life. "Who would you side with if it came down to it? Me or him?"

          Ava stepped back a little in disbelief from the question and she couldn't help the small laugh that left her lips. "He's in charge, Phoenix! Shut up and learn to fucking deal with it!" Ava was yelling now at the top of the stairs. She was sure that some of the others could hear them and the hostages that were on the bottom floor. It was a stage and Ava and Martin were having a show.

        "Is there a problem?" Denver's voice was now heard as he walked around the corner and stood down the hall. He was staring at the two of them. Ava looked immediately at Denver and shook her head then she looked back at Martin, noticing the black eye again. "Is he bothering you?"

          "No, Denver. Thank you." She sighed frustratingly as Martin glared back at Denver. Ava reach out a hand to Martin's arm, touching his bare skin as the top of the jumpsuit was pulled down. He seemed to calm down almost at just her touch.

           "Let's get back to work." Ava hurried to Denver's side, walking with him. They were all occupied with hostages constantly. They had to stay busy making sure that they didn't try any attempt to escape or riot. She knew the hostages for the first few days would be easier to control but soon they were going to lose patients and she knew that.