chapter thirty-one.

31- SCARLETT

The last week has been an endless cycle of paranoia and frustration, both from Zayn and myself. No one has been able to contact Carlos, and no one, including the police, has been able to track his whereabouts.

Once Carlos went MIA, the police finally started to take his threats seriously. Since his disappearance, Zayn's been on high alert, inserting security cameras and taking extra precautions to ensure our safety.

The only thing I disagree with is Zayn's recent purchase of a gun. He tried to ease my worries by saying he didn't want one either, but he's been forced to. Odds are, his father owns a gun and isn't afraid to use it, so he's just trying to be prepared for any situation.

Rocky and Talia have been checking in daily, keeping us in the loop if Carlos tries to contact them. Safe to say, everyone is on their toes, praying Carlos doesn't become violent amid his disappearance.

The scariest part for me is that no one knows what he's trying to accomplish here. No one has even an inkling of how he's thinking/feeling right now.

"Scarlett?" My coworker, Andy, calls my name. I only now notice that he's standing in front of me. "Did you hear me?"

"No. Sorry, Andy, what'd you say?"

Andy's eyes gleam with worry, but I ignore it, acting as though I zoned out. "I asked if you finished compiling the publication dates for September."

I nod, trying to erase Carlos from my mind and jump back into work mode. I open my small filing cabinet within my desk and pull out the file, handing it to Andy.

"Thanks," he mumbles, grabbing it and walking back to his desk.

I turn my focus back into my work, completing all the paperwork that Natalie needs on her desk by the end of the day. Once I complete it, I'm free to head out for the day. I finish up just before five and head to 25 Hours to enjoy the rest of my evening in the comfort of my favorite cafe.

Zayn agreed to meet me after work if I'm still here, but I honestly don't plan to stay long. I want to get back to Zayn's place, make a nice dinner, and maybe watch a movie. I've been craving any kind of simplicity for the past couple of nights.

Everything has been so chaotic with police updates and work stuff that I haven't had time just to sit down and relax. I definitely consider 25 Hours a part of my self-care routine.

I pull into the familiar parking lot, parking my car, and heading into the cafe, seeing Bonnie immediately as I head to the cash register.

Bonnie's face lights up as she sees me, smiling happily. "Scarlett! How are you, sweet girl? I've missed you around here."

"I'm doing good, Bon. I've missed you, too. Sorry, I haven't been around much; life's been a bit chaotic." That's the understatement of the year.

"Don't you worry. What can I get you, dear? On the house." She offers kindly.

I recite my usual order but refuse to take it free and drop a five-dollar bill in the tip jar. Once she hands me my black coffee and chocolate chip cookie, I sit at my favorite table.

I pulled out a book I had brought and began to read as planned, feeling entirely at peace as the fireplace crackled behind me. It was relatively quiet besides the few lingering voices.

This really is my safe space.

After a few peaceful minutes of reading, Bonnie comes to my table, sitting down in front of me. "A man came looking for you the other day."