"So do you think that makes you good? Really, you're funny. I get that you love her but humans aren't ours to love."

"Now who said that?" she asked as she propped her feet up on the table. "Who?"

"The Big Man did, obviously."

"And what does The Big Man think of you, exactly?"

I stood up. "That's a great question. I don't think He knows about me."

"So why would He care?"

I crossed my arms. "Because He's God. He cares about angels. I'm just an angel. I'm not special. I don't stand out. He may not know about me personally, but I'm nothing special, I'm just another angel. You know that."

She clapped her hands as she cheered, "Oh! The angel has it all figured out! Just an angel! Just an angel! Tell me, angel, are you really still the same? The angel here eating apple pie is the same as the angel in Heaven singing praises? The angel here talking about love is the same angel who is... Well I'm not too sure what other angels do now. You know. You know it all, don't you? Hm? Oridon?"

"Stop it," I growled, "Stop it!"

"You're angry. Wrath is a deadly sin. Doesn't that make you dirty?"

I was not much for violence before that point, but temptation got the best of me. I pushed her out of her chair. She hit the floor with a thud. After a few moments of silence she began to laugh like a child that heard some kind of joke.

"Stop! I don't understand! I don't get it! What do you want?"

She looked up at me. A razor blade thin smile creeped upon her face.

"I want you to stop being so stupid and go get your boy. You're not a very good angel, after all. Make him happy, keep him safe. That's what you're supposed to do after all. He'll be happiest being loved by you, and it's already too late for the both of you already. Just go. Go on. Maybe go home and wait on him. Make a nice dinner. Perhaps take some pie home to him. Yeah, nice things."

"You just want his soul."

"I have his soul. I'm just doing my job, angel. Go do yours."

There wasn't a way out, except for the door. I went to it. I felt it; the splintering wood, the iron knob. Then I looked back at Manaphel.

"This isn't right."

She propped her feet back up on the table. "Sometimes you need to do the wrong things for the right reason. If you don't think Anthony is a worthy cause, then don't go. Don't do it. Maybe he's worthless. Maybe."

Her words were like a knife to my gut. Anthony was worth the world and everything beyond. Of course he was worth it. Of course he was.

I left.

Sometime later I found myself stumbling about near the factory Anthony worked at. It was around the time his break should have been, but he wasn't there. I figured he could have been held over by a few minutes. Every day during his break he'd spend his time outside with a cigarette to relieve the tension from working, so I was right to think he'd bust through the doors overwhelmed and overworked at any moment. Then he'd see me, and he'd smile. It would be just like the times before when I'd visit him, and he'd be almost satisfied for the moment. I could see it in his eyes though, he was always yearning for more.

Was it too greedy of him to ask for love? I think not. I was going to make him happy, so happy. Everything he wanted was going to be placed in his hands.

He just didn't show up.

I waited for long enough. I figured he may have skipped work, so I followed the road home. The city was bustling with people returning home too. Candle lights lit up windows. Children were playing games in the streets. It made me smile too, at least until the sights of other angels caught my eye. Silly me, smiling while I was going to let my human be damned, silly me.