No Regrets 2/2

The smell of fresh air and water engulfed you as you rode through the thick forest, accompanying your new squad╴Lance-Corporal Levi's Special Operation Squad.

You tried to enjoy the atmosphere, you really did. But the constant talking from a certain snob made the good ride wasted.

"The old base of the Survey Corps. Like an old castle that was renovated to be our base, it definitely looks extravagant."

You glanced at your fellow soldier, Oruo, who had a distant appearance to Levi.

Emphasis on distant.

"But since it's this far away from the walls and the river, it really wasn't something we needed," the words slid off his tongue as if he had gone through them a thousand times before. Shows just how much this man wants to brag.

"It was used back when we were first formed and our spirits were still high. I never imagined we'd be keeping you in that old decoration," Oruo said, glancing at Eren with a snobby face.

"'When our spirits were still high'?" you snorted, causing Ouro and the squad to shift their focus to you. "I think the only thing that's high is your enormous ego."

You heard several snorts coming from Erd, who was trying his hardest to disguise it as a cough. No one could keep a straight face when they saw Oruo's offended face.

He huffed and turned around to look at Eren.

"As I was saying," he coughed, leaning closer to Eren with a sneer. "Don't get ahead of yourself, recruit."

Eren became shocked when he heard those words, wondering what the fuck he had done now. "Excuse me?"

"You may be a titan or whatever, but a pissy brat like you being under Lance-Corporal Levi's watch╴shit╴!"

You pinched your lips in an effort to hide your amused chuckles when you saw Oruo holding his bleeding tongue, caused by his horse slipping on a rock. Probably in an attempt to shut his owner up.

You rode beside Petra, who was desperately trying to hold a straight face.

You wanted to challenge her. When you caught her eye and smiled, she instantly panicked and shook her heads.

Turning to Oruo with a cheshire grin, you asked; "I guess you're not in high spirits, are you, Oruo?"

That was all it took for Petra to crack under your joke. You both laughed, snorted and held your stomachs in pain as Oruo held his fist towards you in an angry matter.

One might think that the Special Operation Squad was full of titan-slaying, non-human monsters, but it came as a huge surprise when it turned out that they were actually quite nice and humorous people.

Erd, Gunther, and Petra had accepted you pretty much instantly, welcoming you with open arms and compliments. Oruo was a bit more hard to make friends with due to his bragging self, but you eventually got used to him. (The guy sure can brag a lot.)

But overall, it was well.

"This is what you get for yapping away on horseback," Petra scolded, but under that strict facade was a still-snickering girl.

"First impressions are crucial," Oruo insisted, pressing a handkerchief against his mouth. "That recruit was scared stiff."

Petra snorted unamusedly and turned away. "I think he was just surprised by how stupid you actually are."

Oruo felt a pang of embarrassment. He was really trying to impress Petra, not gonna lie. He coughed and closed his eyes. "At any rate, everything went as planned."