Jale stepped forward and took it, unraveling the small note that had been delivered most likely by pigeon. Teal was silent as Jale read. When he was done, Jale passed it back to the servant.

"Everything all right?" Teal asked, not expecting a response since he was not usually privy to such messages that Jale received.

Jale waved him off, an indication it was not important. "Prince Yernal has had to extend his stay at the palace due to flash flooding that has impeded on his usual journey across the river Trenia. He will stay in the guest quarters until it has passed. It is inconsequential. Opelan will ensure he is made comfortable and out of trouble." Jale looked at the sky and ran his hand over his flat stomach. "I am going to eat and sleep some more so I have energy for this evening."

Teal smiled knowingly but instead, he looked out at the trees. He believed that he had slept enough. "I'm going to go for a climb."

It was Jale's turn for his brow to rise. "Suit yourself, but don't go far."

"How different everyone's attitude to when I originally arrived at the palace," Teal teased.

Jale chuckled. "I trust you, and I don't think I could really stop you if I wanted to."

Teal closed the distance between them. "I think you underestimate the power you have over me."

<<<>>>

"Where are you going?" Satner asked. It was later in the afternoon. Most of the harem were still recovering from the night before, but Teal had eaten, redressed and was now eager to explore their location further. He hadn't spent any time with Satner since they had arrived.

"Just going out to stretch my legs," Teal said with a friendly smile. "How are things?" he asked.

Satner didn't answer straightaway. He looked over his shoulder and then back to Teal. "Good," he answered, although something in his tone made Teal believe otherwise. "Can I come with you?"

"Sure," Teal responded. "But I have to warn you there might be some tree climbing involved."

Satner looked surprised and Teal laughed. "Come on. I'll show you what I'm like in action."

True to his words, Teal started to climb one of the tallest trees, and he was delighted to see Satner follow after him.

"You are not too different from my old friend, Cokrin," Teal said over his shoulder. "This actually reminds me of him."

"How so?" Satner asked, several feet below Teal as he moved much slower. Teal watched him ensure the branch he clasped was going to take his weight.

"He used to watch me when I climbed the trees or swam out in the dangerous waters of the rivers near our town."

"Speaking of dangerous," Satner said, taking safety in the fork of two large branches, happy with where he was perched. "Tell me, what is the point of all this?"

"Well," Teal answered, easily balancing out over one branch that hung out high above the waterhole. "I used to collect fruit and bugs but here, I'm just doing it to stretch my legs."

Satner smiled. "You're really not one to sit around, are you?"

Teal laughed. "No, I'm not."

Satner looked as if he was going to say something. Instead, he sighed. Teal lowered himself down and sat on the side branch, his legs hanging over either side.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked.

Satner simply nodded in return and sighed. "It's nothing really."