thirty-one.

~~~The Moment They Lost Stanley Uris~~~

"MIKE!" 

 Adelaide's voice roared loudest as she and the others called for Mike who released a loud scream of pain. The Losers had no view of what was happening above with Mike but they heard the sound of something sharp hitting the boy. A loud thud then sounded, as though someone was being thrown onto the floor. Adelaide prayed to God that Mike would be alright. 

"MIKE!"

"MIKE!"

"MIKE, WHAT'S GOING ON?!"

"YOU OKAY?"

"MIKE?"

 Suddenly, coming into view was Henry Bowers. A spot on his forehead was bloodied up. His head was seen as he looked down at the Losers below. His eyes were dark and manic, in a way Adelaide had never seen before.

 He looked crazy, like he had finally snapped and lost sanity. He looked murderous. Adelaide thought she had seen the darkest his eyes could go a few days ago when she ran into him in town but it was nothing compared to the pair of eyes she was looking into. 

"Bowers," the Losers muttered under their breath. 

 The calls for Mike's name still went on even as the Losers met Mike's attacker. Henry Bowers stared down at them with his darkened eyes. His lips slightly parted as he let out a sound that was between evil laughter and a sheep's bleating.

 Adelaide could feel her body tense at the ugly sound that left his throat. She was kneeled behind Bill and she wanted to shove Bill away to get to the rope so she could climb up and help Mike. Before she could do anything, Henry had grabbed the rope and pulled it out of the well, away from the Losers' reach. 

"THE ROPE! GRAB THE ROPE!" Eddie let out as Bill, Richie and Adelaide stretched out their hands but it was just too late. 

"Shit," Adelaide cursed, feeling so scared and worried for Mike she thought she was going to cry. 

 The calls for Mike's name only grew louder as the Losers worried for their friend. Adelaide knew they had to do something, and they had to do it fast.

 She was aware that she wasn't all that smart, academically but one thing she knew was that there was nothing she wouldn't do for her friends she considered family. And Mike was family. She heard struggling from above and she was screaming internally to herself to think faster. 

"I sh-sh-sh-should get up there," Bill stammered, looking above. 

"ARE YOU INSANE? WITH WHAT?" Eddie yelled loudly, grabbing Bill's shoulder so he wouldn't fall. 

"The spikes," Adelaide muttered, not loud enough for the others to hear. "Bill, give me the spikes," she instructed.

 When he looked at her confused, she rolled her eyes and turned him around to open his backpack. Bill tried to get her to stop but her hands had already reached down to two of the spikes.