twenty-seven.

~~~Stan 'The Man' Uris~~~

 The next days to come had been lonely for Adelaide. The Losers still hadn't mended from the fight. The only ones Adelaide had truly hung out with were Richie and Stan. Occasionally, she'd see Ben on his way to the library. They'd talk a little as she walked him there, but she never really cared for the library and their conversations would stop there.

 A few days a week she would see Mike delivering meat to the butcher's. They'd wave but they could barely talk as he was always in a hurry to get back to the farm. Eddie was hardly seen in town. If he was there, he wouldn't be alone as his mother would be glued to his side at all times. 

 Sometimes she'd see Beverly around town, but that hardly ever happened. Even if she did, they were so far apart that Beverly probably didn't even see Adelaide. The first girl friend Adelaide had was gone. She was saddened by that fact.

 Seeing Bill was inevitable. The first morning after the fight, she had waken up and walked over to her desk. Her curtains were parted at the same time Bill was bringing up his blinds. At seeing her, he let the blinds fall back, hiding him completely.

 A lot of the times Adelaide had decided to go out, she would see Bill and Beverly together and she thought they looked absolutely cute together, like a perfect couple and that rose up jealousy in her. 

 Adelaide tried to focus on the good things that went on in her life. But there really wasn't that many happy things going on. The only thought that came to mind was Stanley's upcoming Bar Mitzvah in another two weeks as the day will take place well into August.

 One day, Adelaide and Stan decided to go to Memorial Park to birdwatch. She brought along with her some money that she shoved into her pockets and a pair of binoculars. They agreed to meet each other there. 

"Stanley!" She called, rushing over to him, her hands gripping the handles of her bike that she dragged beside her. 

 Stan was staring straight ahead at a bird that was resting on the birdbath planted at the center of the park. He heard Adelaide's call and sighed as he watched the bird fly away, startled by Adelaide's sudden voice.

 He slowly placed down his binoculars on his birdbook, turning his head to see Adelaide. But his eyes were on her face only for a second as he settled on her body that wore a pale mustard sundress. 

"Shit, sorry, Stan," she winced, realizing what she had done to the bird. She turned to stand her bike on the kickstand under the shady tree. She returned back to see Stanley's wide eyes and his lips that were slightly parted. "What?" 

"You're wearing a dress," he stated, raising a brow as his eyes raked over her figure. 

"Y-Yeah?" She flustered. 

"You never wear dresses," he brought a hand to his hip, his head tilted slightly to the side, his face giving her a 'don't bullshit me' look.