twenty-eight.

~~~August (I)~~~

~~~August (I)~~~

 They talked and cracked jokes with one another, settling their giggles and laughter only when Donald Uris got on the platform. Adelaide realized that her seat was extremely well chosen as the view was straight ahead and clear.

 The crowd settled as Rabbi Uris introduced himself to everyone, giving a little explanation about the ceremony the guests were there for. Then, he introduced Stanley as the boy walked on the platform, standing in front of an open book which Adelaide assumed was the Torah.

 Adelaide couldn't help the smile that formed on her complexion at the sight of Stan with his hair straight and slicked back with hair gel. He was wearing a grey suit that matched Adelaide's eyes. 

 Draped over his shoulders was a white scarf that Adelaide assumed was a clothing of the religion as the Rabbi and a few other men were wearing it, too. She wasn't sure what it was called. A black coloured kippah was neatly placed on Stan's now straight hair.

 His brown eyes scanned the crowd, finally landing on his two best friends; Adelaide and Richie. Richie gave Stan two thumbs up while Adelaide only smiled widely. But it was enough for Stan to feel better about the reading of the Torah that was about to happen.

 Unsurprising to Adelaide, his reading was smooth and clean, fast almost. She knew he was practicing a lot and she couldn't help but feel proud at what he had accomplished. Then it was time for him to give his prepared speech he had practiced in front of the mirror for God knows how many times.

"Reflecting on what I just read, I like what it says about indifference," he began, glancing a look over his shoulder to his father who gave a small nod.

 Stan was hoping for a boost of confidence but he did not receive anything even remotely close from his father. Stan swallowed thickly, finding something suddenly stuck in his throat, making him unable to continue.

 He could feel his breathing hitched, his pulse going faster after each passing second. He was having trouble breathing. He was panicking. He wasn't sure if it was instinct or purely coincidental, but he searched the rows of seats for Adelaide and Richie.

 Adelaide noticed something odd about Stan, mostly about how his chest was heaving up and down so quickly. Her eyebrows furrowed with concern. But when her eyes met his, she gave a small, reassuring smile and it comforted both him and herself. His breathing returned to normal in just the blink of an eye, feeling the confidence boost he needed.

"Well," he continued, looking back at the crowd. "When you're a kid, you think the universe revolves around you. That you'll always be protected and cared for. That you'll always have the same friends as when you were twelve," he paused, looking at Richie and Adelaide again. This time, the two of them were focusing greatly at his words, relating to them personally. "Then, one day, something bad happens, and you realize that's not true," he blinked a few times, fighting back tears. "You wake up, suddenly not caring about lives outside your own. Nothing going on outside your front door matters anymore. You separate yourself from anything that might matter to you. Neighbors, family, your friends," his voice drifted off for a second, sending another glance to his dear friends before continuing. "But when you're alone as a kid, the monsters see you as weaker. And they start to come for you and you don't even know they're getting closer until it's too late. So they attack you before you find the truth about what's happening."