Chapter 39

Chapter 39

"A-Are we going to be a broken family?"

It was the scariest question I've ever heard in my entire life that came out from my daughter's mouth. I want to run away and hide, but it felt like my feet are nailed on the ground. I was screaming and cursing silently in my mind as I stared at her. Her eyes were in pain as she asked, and seeing that was like another trauma was made.

She was seeking answers as sadness clouded her features, but it feels like the words from my mouth got deserted. I tried collecting and forming a coherent sentence that would make her understand; however, the tension was making my mind corrupted. I can't think straight.

None of us wanted to talk. When Rianne caught us fighting, the strength I had got sucked from its depths. I wish I never talk... I wish I never said a thing if this is going to happen.

"M-Mommy..." Rianne's voice broke when she called me, and I got the chills. When our eyes got locked on each other, I feel like a coward who wanted to be stepped out of the war. "W-Why would you do that to Daddy and to me?"

I opened my mouth only to shiver. I can't find the right words to say.

"Rianne, let's go back to your room and sleep—"

"No! I'm not going back to my room without knowing why my mother wants to end their marriage." She wasn't like a kid. She's like the reflection of my younger self when I found out that my parents are going to be separated. This is exactly what happened before. I was mad at my parents as they plan to end their marriage.

"Rianne, please," Yael took over, but Rianne was restraining. She wanted to hear everything directly to me.

"W-Why? Why did you even introduce me to my father if you're also going to separate?" Her words have weight. Her point was stabbing me in the chest. It never crossed my mind that she will be mad towards me, when in fact I'm just doing what's right. In her eyes, I turned into a villain.

"I don't want to end up like my friends! I don't want a broken family!" She shouted with tears cascading down her cheeks. Her voice was unpleasant to hear. I want to just cut off my ears to not hear her shouting at me.

"Daddy is nice to me and to you. So, why? Why do you want to get an annulment?"

Nagpintig ang tenga ko sa una niyang sinabi. Ang daming tanong na lumalabas sa bibig niya na ayaw kong sagutin pero hindi ko kinakaya na para bang kinamumuhian ako ng anak ko dahil lang gusto kong makipaghiwalay sa tatay niya.

Lumapit si Paris kay Rianne at lumuhod para mapantayan ang tangkad nito. "Don't talk to your mother like that. You're hurting her," sabi ni Paris sa mahinahong boses. Hindi ko nagugustuhan ang nakikita ko.

They are both against me... I'm being misunderstood once again.

"She's the one who's hurting us, Daddy! I want a complete family, and she's planning to ruin it." She pointed her finger at me. My hand turned into a fist, and when I did that, I could feel my nails digging into my palms.