Letharia Vulpina

A/N: Little nervous about this chapter since it has a slightly different vibe to it, but it kicks off a few very important plot lines for the story as a whole, so... Let me know what you thought in the comments!

The past two days had been absolute hell for Lydia, after all, not only were Stiles and Diana missing since the whole orderall at the hospital after Stiles' tests and they had no idea where to even start looking for them, Lydia had also been having the absolute worse migraines for the past 48 hours and a constant whirring sound in her ears. Standing by her locker to get rid of the pain even if for a little while, Lydia rubbed her temples gently but jumped when Allison appeared beside her, placing a hand on her shoulder to grab her attention for a second.

"Sorry." Allison mumbled quietly as Lydia just sighed.

"It's fine." She shook her head. "Any news?"

"They're still looking for them." Allison mumbled, sadly, watching the way Lydia bit her lip, probably to stop herself from crying. "It's past the forty-eight hour mark, but I guess if anyone's going to be missing for two days and turn up just fine, it's Stiles and Diana, right? I mean, especially if they are together."

"I guess." Lydia shrugged, rubbing her fingers over her eyes when the whirring got louder for a moment. "What about Isaac?"

"They wouldn't let me see him because I'm not family, but Melissa let Scott and I inside." Allison said, licking her lips for a moment as she sighed. "But it's not good, Lydia. He's not healing."

"At all?" Lydia asked, as Allison shook her head.

"No." She said. "So, I kind of just came to hand in my English assignment and check on you. I'm heading back to the hospital for a while. Do you think you'll be okay?"

"Yeah." Lydia nodded, not sure if she was trying harder to convince Allison or herself. "I'll be fine."

Allison nodded then, clearly unconvinced, but not sure how else to help. Still, she reached for Lydia's hand and squeezed it gently in hers with a sad smile in her direction.

"Dia is gonna be fine." She said, out loud, what she had been repeating to herself for quite a while now. "She'll come back for us. She always does."

When Lydia nodded, Allison walked off, leaving the redhead alone with her own thoughts for a second, as she groaned when the whirring sound came back. Leaning her head against the lockers, Lydia tried with all her might to drown out the noise, but, when she turned around toward the end of the hallway, she frowned when she noticed her mom standing in front of her office talking to no one other than Peter Hale himself. When he noticed her, Peter was quick to excuse himself and, as soon as he left, Lydia quickly made her way over to her mom.

"Why were you talking to him?" She demanded, as Natalie just shrugged.

"Because he started talking to me." She said. "He's from the health department."

"Oh, really?" Lydia practically scoffed. "That's what he said?"

"Yes, really." Natalie said. "They're scheduling hearing tests with the students."

"Hearing tests?" Lydia mumbled, with a frown. "He was talking about hearing?"

"Yes, hearing." Natalie repeated sarcastically. "I'm guessing we should sign you up. He gave me his card."

Pulling out a piece of paper from between her files, Natalie gave it to Lydia, who was quick to grab it from her mom and groan when she looked down at it.

"Mom, this is a piece of paper with a phone number written on it." She said, as Natalie shrugged again with a little smirk.

"I know. Still got it!" She winked, as Lydia scoffed. "Now, go to class."