"Okay Eric. We're coming." Sehun turned to me, his eyes serious. "Listen to me. If I deem he's too dangerous then you keep clear. Promise me."

Not used to Sehun's stern tone, I sighed then nodded. "I promise. Come on Sehunnie. Let's go see what's going on." Sehun hesitated then nodding, leading the way from his office, following the sound of commotion.

As we headed towards the chaos, a loud growl ripped across the room and my heart broke for the hurt hybrid. It was clear that the sound was tinged with pain and I wanted to do everything I could to help him. As we got closer, my mouth dropped open in surprise. The hybrid in question had pale cream-colored ears with dark spots, pale blond hair, and a long furry spotted tail that was currently bristled in anger. His right arm was in a splint and his handsome face was covered in bruises, along with a gash extending from above his eye and down to his cheekbone.

"Sehunnie? He's an... an Amur leopard hybrid." My voice was soft, almost silent as I looked at the cat hybrid in front of me. When he turned to me, his pale blue eyes full of pain, my mouth dropped open even further. An Amur leopard with blue eyes was rare; an Amur leopard hybrid with blue eyes was even more rare.

Sehun nodded and he approached the hybrid. "Hi. I'm Dr. Sehun. I work here at Cherry Blossom Sanctuary. Can you tell me your name?"

"Fucking untie me!" The angry hybrid spat out at Sehun. "Get these damn straps off of me!" His voice was furious, but just like before I could sense the pain, sense the hurt he was feeling.

Turning to Eric, Sehun pointed at the hybrid. "Why did you have to strap him down?"

"He tried to punch the ambulance driver who picked him up then when we tried to help him, he kicked Carlos in the leg." Eric pointed to the limping bunny hybrid that was making his way towards us.

While they talked, I studied the hybrid in front of me. From the little we knew, he had been someone's pet until they decided they didn't want him anymore. It was another sad story of a mistreated hybrid, another one who wasn't wanted, wasn't loved and it broke me. Just like every other one, just like all the others that came through the doors, either by their own free will or on a stretcher. Just like all the others that left with smiles on their faces after realizing what love and affection is or like the others that Sehun and I watched as they buried in the plot. Even though it broke me every time, I felt fortunate that I hadn't become numb to their pain, numb to the numbers, numb to their stories. Each and every time, I was horrified, angry, and devastated, wanting to change the world, but knowing I could only help with changing one life at a time.

It's what made the situation with Emery even harder. There was a flash of hurt in his eyes when I moved away from him and I couldn't tell if it was real or not, if it was just a ploy to get close to me, to get me to trust him. I hated thinking that way about him, assuming the worst, but after the conversation with Sehun, I knew I really didn't have a choice. I had to keep the panther at arm's length.

Forcing Emery from my mind, I took a step towards the angry leopard. "Hi sweetie. My name is Y/N. Can you tell me your name?"

The leopard glared at me, but for a second I could see the flash of uncertainty in his eyes, the want for someone to understand, the need for someone to treat him kindly. "Get the fuck away from me! I don't want to tell you shit!"

Sehun went to reach for my wrist, but I shook off his gentle touch, ignoring the look of warning in his eyes, the reminder of the promise I made while we were still in his office. "That's okay sweetie. You don't have to tell me your name. Can you at least tell me where it hurts so I can take care of you?"

"Everything fucking hurts! But you should fucking know that! You humans are all the same!" The leopard's words cut as deep as a blade since I had heard them before, from my angry rabbit mate that had despised me on sight. This was another raging hybrid that hadn't been given the most basic decencies and it sucked. It sucked to know that he would lash out at anyone trying to help him.