Chapter 34

Sunday 8:43AM

Derek anxiously paced back and forth in the conference room, running his hands through his hair. He had just paged all the interns.

It's been a week since he told them to find a cure for his fiancé's brain tumor. By now, news has spread and nearly everyone in the hospital knew the scans belonged to Meredith. Still, Derek was hoping they'd come up with something.

Eventually, all the interns had filed in, taking seats at the table. All but one.

"Where's Lexie Grey?" Derek asked.

"She refused to come Doctor Shepherd." A red headed, shy looking girl piped up. Derek sighed exasperated.

"Alright, well who wants to pitch their treatment first?" He asked. Nobody volunteered, instead the interns looked between themselves, eyes wide.

"Well?" Derek asked expectantly, folding his arms over his chest until one intern, with brown curly hair finally spoke up.

•••

Derek sighed as he walked back to Merediths room. He was tired. He was somewhat relieved people were still brain storming about cures for Meredith, but it didn't ease the pit in his stomach.

He walked into her room and found her with his mother, chatting away. "How are my two favorite ladies?" Derek asked with a grin.

"We're good, dear. Meredith was just telling me about your health food addiction." Carolyn responded, smiling.

Derek looked to Meredith, who looked exhausted,
But happy. "How you feelin?" He asked, smoothing her hair back and kissing her gently.

"Good." Meredith answered, leaning into his touch. "I'm glad." Derek said as a ohone began to ring. "Oh, it's Mark. I told him I'd eat lunch with him. It was great talking to you, Meredith." Carolyn grinned before leaving.

"W-when...where...have been?" Meredith struggled to get out. Derek sat in a chair next to her bed. "I've been with everyone trying to figure out a plan for you." Derek admitted.

"And?" Meredith asked, not getting her hopes up too much. She knew how it was. "There was one idea, but it's risky. I just...I don't know." Derek sighed.

"De-Derek...w-we should t-talk about what...what c-could happen." Meredith said quietly. "What do you mean?" He asked in confusion.

"I'm probably...gonna die." Meredith whispered, swallowing thickly. "Mer..." Derek trailed off. "We kn-know it could h-happen. Feel...I feel l-like crap m-more than 9-95% of my l-life. My scans are-arent good. I want y-you to p-prepare yourself." She explained, her heart clenching at his expression.

"You aren't gonna die. You aren't." Derek said sternly.

"Derek..."

"You aren't. You can't. I'm not letting them give up on you, and I'm not letting you give up on yourself. I can't live without you, Mer." He said.

"I-I'm not giving u-up. M-my cancer...t-term...term.."

"Terminal." Derek supplied. "It's term-terminal. I-I don't want to d-die and leave you, b-but It's up t-to the s-science to do that, n-not me." Meredith replied quietly, getting more tired by the second.

"I don't know what to do without you." Derek admitted, tears pricking at his eyes. "Y-you're gonna find s-someone else, and h-have lots of c-chatty babies." Meredith said quietly, wheezing slightly.

"I don't want anyone else. I want to have your chatty babies, and be married to you and grow old with you. I want our lifetime." Derek whispered, tears sliding down his face as he pulled the oxygen mask over her face.

"M-me too." Meredith said, her eyes drooping shut as she fell asleep. "Please don't die. Please don't die." Derek whispered to her unconscious form, trying to hold back his sobs.

•••

Lexie Grey wasn't accepting the fact that her biological older sister was dying. She wouldn't accept it. So, she went to the bar. Which was completely pathetic, she knew it. But she needed to escape the hosptial, just for one day.

"Here you go." Joe, the bartender said, placing the drink in front of her. "Thanks." Lexis said solemnly, taking a sip.

"What are you doing, little Grey?" Mark's voice rang out from the door. "Drinking. Want to join?" Lexie asked with a fake smile.

"Sure." Mark said. He wasn't on call and working today. Joe got him his usual drink as he took a seat next to the young woman.

"So, care to tell me why we're drinking at 2 in the afternoon?" Mark asked. "We are drinking because I can't watch my sister die of cancer anymore. I need to escape the hospital." Lexie explained.

"I can drink to that." He said with a soft smile. "I hate hearing the rumors and the whispers about Meredith. I just met my big sister, the one my dad abandoned and kept away from me, and now she could die. Mark, I had it so easy. I grew up with 2 loving parents, who attending everything, even my 5th grade graduation. What the hell is a 5th grade graduation?" Lexis laughed.

"Now, I'm an intern at one of the best hospitals in the country. Meredith? She grew up without a father and an emotionally abusive and absent mother, yet shes at the same place I am. Meredith doesn't deserve to be dying of cancer. It's not fair." Lexie ranted.

"I know it's not. But Meredith survived a shitty childhood, and I have no doubt she'll be able to survive this. But we won't solve our problems day drinking." Mark said softly, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"I barely know Meredith. I don't want her to die before I have the chance to know her." Lexie said, a tear sliding down her face as she sniffled.

"Then get to know her when you have the chance. I'll go with you, if you want. Be your buffer." Mark teplied, shifting to give her a hug. Lexie wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her head on his chest.

"Thank you." She whispered. "I like you, Lexie. I'll be here for you." Mark said softly.

Hey guys! We hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well . As always, go follow merderrstan