Chapter 6

Derek dozed in a chair near Meredith's bedside. He really wasn't tired, but he certainly wasn't going to leave the hospital room.

It was almost 10am. He knew how much Meredith hated sleeping in, but Derek couldn't bear to wake her after such a rough night.

Minutes later, Derek rose his head to the sound of sheets shuffling. He stood from the chair and held Meredith's hand as she slowly opened her eyes.

"Hey."

"Hi." She whispered back before erupting into a fit of coughing. Derek quickly grabbed the nasal cannula and secured it around her nose before pouring a small glass of water.

"Thank you." She managed after a few deep breaths. Derek smiled lovingly as a knock sounded at the door.

The room began to fill with doctors, rounds had started.

"How are you feeling Grey?" Bailey asked, flipping through Meredith's overnight chart.

"I'm fine." She said, flashing a very fake smile. Derek gave her a stern glance.

"I'm.. okay. Not great." She corrected herself. Understatement of the year.

"Any shortness of breath, lightheadedness, or severe acute GI symptoms?" Doctor Swinder asked. Meredith sighed.

"Only a little." She admitted.

"I'm going to have to strongly advise another night of observation, for your safety."

"No." Meredith whispered, hastily wiping a tear from her eyes.

"Meredith-" Bailey interjected with a frown.

"No! I don't want to be chained to a hospital bed, cancer and chemo is bad enough." She pleaded, this time not bothering to dry the tears falling.

"She lives with three doctors, and we're a 5 minute drive away from the hospital. She comes in daily for chemotherapy, can't you just assess and manage her symptoms then?" Derek negotiated with the doctors.

"Okay, fine." Swinder agreed, surrendering. Meredith sighed in relief, melting into her bed.

"Promise us you'll take it easy Meredith. Just because you're going home doesn't mean you're well." Bailey pleaded.

"Mhm." She muttered, slightly muffled by the pillows.

"I can grab the discharge papers." Izzie offered
peppily. Bailey nodded, and the doctors filed from the room.

"We're going home." Derek uttered.

"We are going home." Meredith repeated, smiling.

An hour later, Derek pushed Meredith's wheelchair through the hospital doors. She closed her eyes and smiled as the warm sun tickled her features.

"Are you still feeling alright?" Derek asked worriedly. He still wasn't sure leaving the hospital was the best idea, but he knew it would make Meredith happy.

"I am feeling amazing." She replied. Derek smiled.

"Well in that case, I have a surprise for you." He teased as he helped her into the passenger seat.

"What is it?" Meredith giggled as Derek put the car into reverse and backed out.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise."

Finally, Derek pulled into a parking spot overlooking the bay. Meredith looked around, confused. Her eyes widened in realization.

"Are we riding the ferry boat?"