Part 6

When my mother opened the door with blue streaks on her forehead, I knew I would clean up the attic alone

"Oh, hi, darling," my mother said and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Is it ten already? Do you mind waiting? I need to finish the sky before the paint I mixed dries out. I'm working on a seascape for an exhibition in December. Did I tell you about it?"

I used to not getting to answer when my mother started talking about art.

I followed her into the house. "Yes, you did. I can get started on the attic if you want."

"No, come and keep me company and catch me up on how you're doing," my mother said.

A Chinese vase nearly crashed to the floor when I ran into it. What's going on with her? I couldn't remember the last time my mother took the time to get caught up on the events in my life. Eyeing my mother cautiously, I followed her to the studio.

My mother instantly disappeared behind an easel. "So how's work?"

"A little stressful," I said. "My boss gave me a big account. The client is one of the biggest landowners in the county, so it's pretty exciting to work on a project of that size."

"That's nice, darling," my mother said without looking up from her painting. "Can you hand me that cloth over there?"

I pressed my lips together and handed her the cloth. No "I'm proud of you." Neither of my parents had ever told me that, nor had they ever told me that they loved me. I don't know why I expected today to be different.

"After we clean up the attic, can you stay a little longer and help me pack some of the paintings for the exhibition?" my mother asked.

"Sorry," I politely said. "I can't."

"Great," my mother said. "Then we'll —" She stopped and stepped out from behind her easel to stare at me.

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other. "I'm sorry. Maybe I can come over and help you tomorrow. I'm invited to a wine tasting tonight, so I have to leave here around two."

"Oh, that's nice," my mother said again and disappeared behind her easel. "So who invited you? Anyone I know?" She sounded distracted, as if most of her attention was not on the conversation anymore.

"No," I said. My parents didn't know any of my friends. "It's someone I just recently met."

"A new friend?" My mother stuck her head around the easel and grinned at me. "Or are you dating someone new? It's high time you did, darling. How long has it been since Patrick broke up with you? A year?"

I picked up an empty palette and stared at the remains of dried colors. "Three," I mumbled. "And I was the one who broke up with him. Besides, I'm not dating Lisa." I hesitated, then decided to tell my mother about my plan to trick Jin. "Although Jin tried to set us up. You won't believe the prank he pulled on me. He —"