Part 13

I smoothed my hands over my sash while I waited for Jennie to open the door

I smoothed my hands over my sash while I waited for Jennie to open the door. I glanced down at my white shirt to make sure that just the right amount of cleavage was showing. Hey, stop it. This is not a date. Jennie won't even notice your—

The door swung open, interrupting my thoughts.

She and I stared at each other, taking in the each other's costume.

Oh, be still my heart. I sighed. A woman in uniform.

My gaze traveled up to her polished black leather boots, black pants, and a wine-red uniform shirt that ended in black shoulders. A Star Trek insignia was pinned just above Jennie's left breast. Only the horn-rimmed glasses perched on Jennie's nose didn't fit the futuristic look.

"You're a Trekkie?" I asked.

Jennie blushed and shrugged. "Guess I'm a total nerd, huh?"

She's too cute. "Hey, no shame in that. I liked Star Trek too, but I was more into Babylon 5."

The tense set of Jennie's shoulders relaxed. "Really?"

"Sure." I grinned. "A tough Russian woman and a beautiful blond telepath, what's not to like? But didn't anyone ever tell you that wearing a red uniform is bad karma? Whenever I watched an episode, one of the guys in red died before the first commercial break."

"That was the original series, not The Next Generation." she countered.

"Ah, right. So you're what?" I counted the number of golden pips on the right side of Jennie's collar. "A commander?"

Jennie straightened. "A captain."

"Then I've got to say that you fill out that uniform better than good old Captain Picard."

The tight uniform showed off Jennie's gentle curves and emphasized her slender waist and long legs.

Jennie's face took on the color of her uniform top. "You look very...um...dashing too."

Grinning, I pretended to twirl my painted-on mustache. "Thank you." I hooked my arm through Jennie's. "Come on. Let's go."

"