Part 28

Jennie kept her gaze on the road, not even peering at me for the first twenty minutes of our two-hour trip to her parent's house

Instead of being relaxing, the silence made me even tenser. I looked at Jennie, hoping to catch her gaze. What's going through her mind?

With her controlled expression and wearing the elegant slacks and blouse she had bought during our shopping trip, Jennie looked like the picture of confidence.

I took in Jennie's white-knuckled grip on the steering wheel before I studied her face. Jennie blinked more often than usual as if she was trying to process something.

Was this starting to become more than a practical joke for Jennie too? And if she had feelings for me, was she ready to act on them? I let my hands drop into my lap and studied Jennie again. I didn't know what to think anymore. Should I try to get Jennie to talk about our almost-kiss?

No. I had promised to give Jennie time, and Jennie was already as taut as a bowstring. Thinking about a bowstring reminded me of our archery lesson and started an instant replay of our near-kiss again. When the silence went on for too long, I couldn't stand it anymore and cleared my throat.

Jennie glanced at me and then back at the road. "Are you nervous?" I asked.

Another quick glance from Jennie. She opened her mouth, and I could tell the customary "I'm fine" was already on the tip of her tongue, but then Jennie swallowed and nodded.

"Don't be," I said. "Nothing will happen that you don't want." I wasn't talking just about the Thanksgiving dinner, and I hoped Jennie understood that.

Jennie's gaze flickered to me. She nodded once and refocused on traffic.

Her grip on the steering wheel tightened even more.

Silence filled the car, leaving me to wonder once again what was going through Jennie's mind. Was she still thinking about that near-kiss the day before? I hadn't been able to think of anything else since then. Or was Jennie worried about being affectionate with me in front of her family?

"You did tell your parents about our plan to trick Jin, right?"

Jennie scratched her nail over the steering wheel. "I—"

A car honked behind us.

"Jerk," I muttered without turning around.

Jennie looked in the rearview mirror and stiffened. "It's Jin."

I turned.

Behind us, much too close for my comfort, Jin waved from the driver's seat of his black Corvette. When his gaze fell on me sitting next to Jennie, he stared for a moment and then grinned.

"I know that smirk," Jennie mumbled. "I bet he's not buying our charade, and he can't wait to watch me make a fool out of myself."

I clenched my fists until my nails bit into my palm. I wouldn't allow him to humiliate Jennie.