Part 15

I opened the passenger door for Jennie and went to the back of the car to put the saber and eye patch in the trunk, glad to have a moment alone before I got into the car with Jennie

I opened the passenger door for Jennie and went to the back of the car to put the saber and eye patch in the trunk, glad to have a moment alone before I got into the car with Jennie. My lips still tingled, and all I wanted was to kiss Jennie again.

Cut it out! You're just friends, remember? Get yourself together.

I wasn't about to destroy my fragile friendship with Jennie by giving in to my attraction.

After taking a deep breath, I climbed into the driver's seat, started the car, and pretended to need my full attention for driving.

The silence between us was awkward.

I peeked over at Jennie, who stared out of the side window. Passing streetlamps bathed her face in a succession of lights and shadows. Between glances at the road, I admired the gentle curve of her cheek and the shape of her li—

Stop thinking like that! Her lips are none of your business.

I wrenched my gaze away and turned on the radio to fill the silence between us.

A female singer sang about kissing a girl.

Jesus Christ! Can't I get a break here?

I turned off the radio.

Tick-tick-tick. The rhythmic sound of the turn signal filled the car as I made a right turn. I glanced over at the passenger seat again, just as Jennie peeked at me.

Our gazes met and then veered away like billiard balls bouncing off each other.

This is ridiculous.

Determined to clear the air between us, I turned back toward Jennie. "I think we should—"

"I'm sorry if I—"

We spoke simultaneously and then looked at each other as our words trailed off.

The headlights of another car made me redirect my attention toward the road. "Want to come over to my place so we can talk? I don't want things to be awkward between us just because ..."

Jennie fingered the golden rank insignia on her uniform collar. "All right," she said after a moment. "We need to decide what to say when Jin calls anyway."

Jin. I groaned. Of course. That's why she kissed you in the first place, idiot.

When I parked the car in front of the house, Jennie got out before I could walk around and open the car door for her.

I sighed and followed Jennie to the front door.

Lego bounded up to us from somewhere behind the barn. He circled me, then Jennie, sniffing and purring excitedly, as if she were a long-lost buddy. When Jennie returned his enthusiastic greeting by rubbing his head, Lego jumped up and planted his front paws on Jennie's legs.