Part 29

Still feeling shell-shocked, I found myself sitting next to Jennie at the large oval table in the dining room, surrounded by gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and mashed potatoes

Alan Kim carved the turkey and tilted his head at Jennie. "Thigh or breast?"

Jennie nearly choked on a sip of water. Red-faced, she started coughing. "Dad, I'm a vegetarian. You know that."

"But it's not red meat," Alan said. "Why don't you try a little? Thigh or breast?"

Jin grinned at Jennie from the other side of the table. "She tried to convince me that she has recently developed an interest in breasts, right, sis?"

Now it was my turn to nearly choke on my water. I glared at Jin.

For that comment, you deserve to be tricked, my friend.

"Breast, then," Alan said. Not waiting for an answer, he put a large piece of white meat on Jennie's plate.

What are they doing? I shook my head. She's a vegetarian, for heaven's sake!

Then Alan moved on to me. "Thigh or breast?"

"I'll take Jennie's breast." Heat shot up my neck as I realized what I had just said.

"I mean ..." I peeked over at Jennie and found her just as red-faced. "She doesn't eat meat." As casual as someone who had taken food from her lover's plate a thousand times before, I leaned over and pierced the turkey breast on Jennie's plate with my fork.

Our shoulders brushed, and I caught a whiff of Jennie's perfume.

My eyes closed for a moment, and I hummed with pleasure.

"Smells nice, doesn't it?" Claire said.

My eyes shot open. Christ. Stop daydreaming in front of her parents! "Um ... yes. It smells fantastic." Thank God Jennie's mother thought I was talking about the turkey. At least I hope she does. I  tried not to give myself away by looking like a deer caught in headlights and shoved a piece of turkey into my mouth.

The stuffed bird smelled and tasted good too—of thyme, sage, apple, and cranberries. Memories of my last Thanksgiving rose. My mother had already been sick, but she had dragged herself out of bed and prepared our turkey as she had since I could remember.

"Hey," Jennie said close to my ear. She rubbed my back. "You okay?"

I blinked, embarrassed to be caught daydreaming again. I looked up and met Jennie's compassionate gaze. "Yeah."

"You miss your parents, don't you?" The soft touch at my back didn't retreat.

How does she know? Was I that easy to read, or did Jennie know me that well already?