Part 5

"Do you have a minute?"

I looked up from my progress report to see Donnie Kwon, my new colleague, lingering in the doorway. I waved him in.

"Sure." I said. I made another note in the report before I focused on my visitor.

He smoothed down his well-groomed blond hair while he walked toward me. When he reached my desk, he stopped and looked around. "Nice office," he said. "I like the way you arranged the furniture."

I raised one brow. He wasn't here to compliment my sense of interior design, was he?

"What can I do for you?" I asked instead.

"Von explained the software the firm uses yesterday, but it's very different from everything I used before." He sent me a helpless smile. "Can you show me again how to import the data and create a chart for the client's expenses?"

One glance at the clock showed me that I had twenty minutes before my next appointment, so I nodded.

"Come around this side, and I'll show you."

When Donnie rounded the desk and leaned over my shoulder to see the screen, a wave of his too heavy aftershave hit me.

I wrinkled my nose and started to breathe through my mouth. A few clicks of my mouse and I had the software open. I showed Donnie how to import the client's data from QuickBooks.

"You're really good at this," Donnie said. "How long have you worked for Chua & Jung?"

I kept my gaze on the screen. "Six years."

"Are you a local, or —"

"No, I'm not," I said in a tone that didn't invite further questions. Discussing the details of my private life always made me uncomfortable, especially in a work context. "Make sure you check the imported data for any mistakes. Once you've done that, you —"

The ringing of my phone interrupted me.

I lifted one finger to tell Donnie to give me a moment and reached for the phone. "Chua & Jung, Jennie Kim speaking."

"Good morning, Ms. Kim. This is Goo Chang-Seong . I'm not sure if you remember. I was thinking about investing in a new tractor the last time we spoke."

"Of course I do remember, Mr. Goo. You said it might be better to wait until next year."

"Yes, but now I'm not so sure."

I suppressed a sigh. Why did my clients change their minds all the time?

"Okay," I said, careful not to let any hint of impatience show, "how can I help you with your decision?"

"I know this is short notice, but I have a good offer. The thing is just that I need to make a decision today. Can you pencil me in to go over the numbers with me?"