Part 16

I stared at the clothes in my wardrobe

I stared at the clothes in my wardrobe. "Just pick something and be done with it."

Kuma jumped on the bed, hesitated when he found it covered in clothes before he trampled over a blouse and rolled into a ball on top of my favorite pair of pants.

"Hey! Get down." I tugged on the pants, but Kuma didn't budge. "All right. The gray pants it is, then. Thanks so much for helping me decide what to wear."

I hadn't seen Lisa since the night of the Halloween party a week before, but she had called me and asked if I wanted to go check out the new Mexican restaurant. While I wasn't partial to Mexican food, I had said yes anyway.

At least in the restaurant, there would be people around. Maybe that would help us feel more comfortable with each other. I hadn't noticed how much I had started to relax around Lisa until my ease disappeared after our kiss.

Kisses, I reminded myself and groaned. I rubbed my lips, which started an instant replay of kissing Lisa.

The kiss had begun as an act of anger and raw determination. But when I felt Lisa's unexpected softness and her warmth, something had come to life inside of me.

Nonsense. You're just confused.

I sat on the bed and scratched Kuma behind one ear. Had I ruined everything?

I certainly hadn't done a very good job convincing Jin that Lisa and I were a couple. But I had more to consider than just taking revenge on my brother. Now there was my friendship with Lisa too. Lisa was a person with feelings, not just a means to get one over on Jin.

God, why did I kiss her like that? I shouldn't have done that.

On the other hand, kissing Lisa to convince Jin we were a couple had been part of our plan. The problem wasn't that I had kissed her but that I hadn't been able to kiss her in front of Jin.

Lisa had seemed fine with the kiss. With both of us. If Jin's warnings were any indication, Lisa had kissed many women-much more attractive women-without giving it another thought. For me, it didn't change anything about our tentative friendship. I was still committed to our plan to take revenge on Jin.

So if Lisa is fine with it, why am I making such a fuss about it? Isn't that exactly what Jin expects of me? Boring old Jennie, too prudish and straitlaced to ever kiss a woman.

Now it was up to me to convince him otherwise.

But can I do it? I clenched my hands into fists and tapped them against my thighs. Of course I can. I'll make Jin believe I'm the gayest woman in town, if it's the last thing I do.

When I stood and pulled down my sweatpants to get changed, the phone rang.

I stumbled over the sweatpants around my ankles, kicked them off with a curse, and hastened to pick up the phone.