Fin

A log in the fireplace shifted, and the fire crackled.

I opened one eye.

"Just the fire," Lisa murmured. Her voice rumbled through me, since I was lying half on top of Lisa, half on top of the comfortable leather couch. Lisa combed her fingers through my hair and traced patterns on my forehead and cheek with her fingertips.

The gentle touches made me close my eyes and snuggle my head more tightly against Lisa's shoulder.

Two weeks before, it had felt strange to have Lisa hold me, but now I enjoyed lying in her arms. It was a place where I could let my guard down and be myself.

I buried my nose against Lisa's neck and breathed in the scent of her skin. Mmmhm. In an attempt to feel even more of Lisa, I pressed my lips to her throat.

Lisa stretched beneath me, giving me more room to maneuver. Her moan made me tingle all over.

I touched my lips to the soft spot below Lisa's ear and trailed the tip of my nose down to her chin, where I placed a kiss. With a contented sigh, I laid my cheek back on Lisa's shoulder.

"Who knew you'd turn out to be such a cuddle hound," Lisa said. Her breath tickled the top of my head.

Certainly not me. I tipped my head back and tried to make out Lisa's expression.

"Is that okay?" I asked.

"Okay?" Lisa swooped down and captured my lips in a deep kiss. "It's," she panted against my lips, "more," a quick kiss, "than okay."

Lisa's kisses were more than okay too. I wasn't sure whether Lisa was a better kisser or if my feelings just ran deeper than they ever had with Patrick. Maybe it was both.

Just when I leaned down to get another kiss, the doorbell rang. I jumped. My heart slammed against my ribs. Jesus.

Lego, who had dozed next to the couch, raced to the door.

With a groan, Lisa climbed out from under me. She pecked me on the lips and smoothed a strand of hair behind my ear. "Stay put. I'll get rid of whoever that is and be right back."

I sat up and listened as Lisa opened the door.

"Oh, so at least you're not dead," a woman said. "What's your excuse, then?"

That voice sounded familiar. I tilted my head. Was that one of Lisa's friends I had met at the Halloween party?

Lego's excited meowing indicated that he knew the visitor well.

"Excuse?" Lisa sounded as dazed as I felt.

"We haven't seen hide nor hair of you in at least three weeks," another woman said. This one's voice was gentler and not as deep.

Three weeks? I felt my cheeks warm. That's how long we've been together.

"I know, I know," Lisa said. "I was pretty busy with work and everything."

"Lisa, we worry about you," said the gentler-sounding woman. The voices moved toward the living room.

I smoothed wrinkles out of my clothes, wiped my mouth, and tried to look as if I hadn't just been kissed breathless.

"We won't let you retreat from us like you did when—" The taller woman who had worn a harem lady's costume at the Halloween party stepped into the living room and stopped abruptly.

Her smaller wife slammed against her back. "Ouch, Seulgi, you can't just stop in the middle of—oh!" She stared at me, turned, and slapped Lisa's shoulder. "Why didn't you tell us you have company?"