Chapter 12 - The End

The black spread quickly, it soon covered my arms and legs, almost exactly like Mother's.

But there was one difference.

A small, onyx-colored heart formed, right at the nape of my neck.

Mother smiled as she watched the progress. "It's too late now, daughter."

~

(Natsu's P.O.V.)

My entire body was throbbing with pain. I woke up, dizzy and looked around. I was in a cell of some sort.

It was then I remembered what had happened.

Lucy.

"LUCY!" I screamed although my voice was frail, since I was so parched.

"Oh, Natsu~"

I looked around and spotted Lucy's mother, covered in odd black streaks, from head to toe. "What have you done to her?" I hissed, rattling the bars of the cell.

"I didn't do anything. Lucy found out how to transform all on her own. I didn't even need to show her."

"Transform?" I echoed.

No, no, this couldn't be happening. It was my job to protect Lucy. I couldn't fail.

I wouldn't.

Hopefully.

The women grinned, a sly smirk. "You know Lucy doesn't even like you anymore."

"What are you saying?" I asked. What she was telling me couldn't be true.

"She doesn't. She thinks you failed her." Her voice was cold and evil, and it made me want to roast her to a crisp.

"Woman I'll burn yo--"

"No, not anymore, fire breath. Take a look at your anklet." She said, interrupting me, and I watched as she slipped two keys, one for my cell and one for the anklet, into her purse and zipped it shut.

I looked down to see a metal anklet, one with a large, red beeping thing on it. "With that you can't use magic. You're even more useless..."

"Just tell me where Lucy is." I said, angered.

"Nuh, uh, uh, dragon boy. You just rot in that cell. Lucy doesn't even want to see you."

And with that, she walked away, humming.

~

(Lucy's P.O.V.)

My mind was racing.

Where was Natsu?

Was he safe?

Oh, how I missed him.

Mother walked into my room, frowning. "Lucy I...I'm sorry to tell you this, but..." She began biting back sobs and her voice was cracking. "Your friend...Natsu...he's dead..."

"Wha...what?"

She nodded. "I'm so sorry, Lucy. But he's gone. His last words were about how it was all your fault that he was dragged into this..."

It was all my fault.

I knew I shouldn't have brought anyone into this. What had I done? Was it really too much to ask to be happy?

Everyone I touch seems to be burned.

I looked up at mother, but she was gone. She must've slipped out of my room when I wasn't looking.

I tugged at the chain tied to my bed, not allowing me to leave my room.

I had to get out of here.