36.) All The Lonely People

Start from the beginning

~~~

"How are you feeling?" Aaron asked me as we stood with the other faction leaders. "Other than nervous? Just blank honestly." I answered her as the crowd began to build up with people awaiting the trial. "I know this is going to be hard for you, so just know, I got your back." She reassured me, I looked at her and she smiled. "How are you sleeping? You look really tired." She pointed out, I inhaled deeply and shrugged. "I just can't...Specially with the endless cycle of nightmares." I answered, she nodded and I looked up at the seats to see Tris and Chris standing there.

They both gave me an assuring look and I could hear Four's footsteps coming up beside me, so I turned my head and looked at him. "You ready?" He questioned, I took in a sharp inhale and nodded.

After a few moments, everyone had gather around. The feeling I was getting at the moment felt like deja vu, I've been here before to choose my faction, but the familiarity of being here a different time was unreal. I take in a calming breath to slow down my racing heart and watched everyone sit down, instead of the colors being divided, there was no factions and everyone was scattered.

"Calypso." Evelyn called me, I looked to my left to see her walk towards the platform. "I hope you know what you're doing." She said, I nodded and cleared my throat. "I could say the same to you." I responded, she forced a smile then walked towards Jack who just arrived at the building.

A shiver ran up my spine making goosebumps rise on my skin and I felt my knees began to tremble lightly. I balled up my hands to try and focus on the energy and force I was putting into them rather than the trial.

"All right, everyone, settle down!" Evelyn announced to the people, I let out a sigh then relaxed my hands. "You doing okay?" Jack asked from beside me with a lowered voice as Evelyn began her speech. I looked at him and nodded then looked back to the crowd as they listened to her intently. "Your father would be proud that you've become a leader." He whispered, that comment struck me like lightning and I felt my heart begin to race. "What I would give to see him again...Or any of my friends." I whispered back then put the fallen hair piece from my braid behind my ear.

"Look beyond that, Calypso. Even in death, we can still speak to our loved ones. You just have to listen very closely." He pointed out. I licked my dry lips and bit the inside of my cheek from force of habit.

Were my dreams a form of my loved ones spirit trying to communicate with me? Is that why I try to avoid sleep?

Jack's word echoed through my head, I completely spaced out, a hand tapped my shoulder and I blinked bringing myself back to this depressing reality. "Yes?" I questioned and see everyone staring at me, along with Evelyn. "It's time to make your statement." She said, I nodded and took a few steps forward then looked towards the crowd. "Right." I muttered as I lightly scratched my temple and then relaxed my arms.

I ignored the sweat that built up on my forehead and cleared my throat. However, before I could speak, the guards from the Factionless bring out Eric and made him stand beside the stairs that used to be for Candor. "My name is Calypso Matthews, originally from Erudite then transferred to Dauntless." I began to speak as everyone stared at me. "As many of you know, I am Divergent. I don't fit into just one category...I belong to many." I added then glanced at the floor.

"I am here today to speak out. To be a defendant for Eric Coulter, who used to be one of the leaders for Dauntless." I explained, I could her some remarks to me being his defendant, but I ignored them and kept speaking. "There is no denying that Eric did indeed help Jeanine Matthews. However, there is no denying that he wasn't manipulated since he was a child by the leaders of Dauntless and Erudite." I added then looked at Eric who had a different appearance than before.

His hair wasn't nicely cut into that mohawk he wore and instead his hair was grown out. Along with a thickish beard on his face, you could also tell he hadn't slept much like me from the darkness underneath his eyes. I looked away from him to the crowd and felt my shoulders ease up from all that tension I carried.

"My father had once said 'If we are not willing to give humankind a chance, then you've become the problem.' He was a humanitarian, he was empathetic and he believed that we are not executioners. Eric Coulter made many mistakes that is something I cannot argue with. Despite his mistakes, I am willing to give him a chance to make up for his mistakes and face the consequences." I explained furthermore. People still muttered to each other or gave me unsatisfied looks, I ignored it and remained calm.

"You execute this man, you have become exactly like Jeanine. Cruel, dishonorable and wicked." I added then inhaled deeply and remembered what Four had told me. "I know that I am asking for a lot, but alongside the people who signed my contract, we will watch him and keep him in check. That way he will never hurt another soul." I said then let out a sigh and took a step back.

Evelyn then stood in front of everyone and began to speak again. Four grabbed my hand and gave it a small squeeze, I closed my eyes taking in a deep breath then squeezed back letting him know that I was fine. The guards then let Jack inject Eric with a truth serum and he uncomfortably swallowed feeling the serum already taking affect. "May the truth set you free." Jack said to him.

I looked at Eric who was already looking at me and he gave me a firm nod. I returned the nod and kept my eyes on Evelyn as she was getting ready to make Eric's verdict, I take in a sharp breath and wait. "Eric Coulter, you are the only person to have a long list of people who are vouching for you. Two of them being leaders." Evelyn began as she looked towards him. The guards bring him closer to stand in front of her, being only a few feet away from Evelyn as she brought out the list of people I've gotten to vouch for Eric.

"Calypso Matthews claims that you were manipulated the moment you walked into Dauntless. Could you claim that this statement is correct?" Jack asked him as he walked towards the platform to look at Eric. He took in a sharp inhale and lightly nodded then cleared his throat to speak. "Yes, if I were to refuse orders...They said that I'd end up in the same position of those I've killed." He answered truthfully and Jack nodded. "How many people would you say you've killed since you moved to Dauntless?" He questioned Eric who had sweat building up on his forehead.

"I-I never kept count, but...I did kill." He stumbled over his words, he swallowed back harshly and looked over to me, like he needed my approval. "Mister Coulter, the more you resist the serum, the more painful it will be." Jack pointed out to him, I put my hands in a manner to tell him to calm down and he inhaled deeply. "How many people have you killed?" Jack asked him again.

"23." He answered then looked back towards Jack.

The people remained quiet at the response and I knew they all wanted to kill him. Well, execute him to be exact.

"Were they, in your eyes, innocent?" He asked Eric, he looked to the ground and tried to fight the serum back, I knew the pain he was suffering from, but it was up to him to tell the truth. "He's choking up." Four whispered to me and I nodded in agreement, I locked eyes with Eric again and I put my index finger to my chin then brought it down to my other hand's palm.

He let out a sharp exhale then looked again towards Jack. "Yes, all, but one." He answered, Jack raised his brows and we all stared at him wanting to know more. "Who was the one?" Evelyn butted in, I glanced at her as she took a step closer to him and he watched her. He inhaled deeply then cleared his throat as he fidgeted with his fingers and I glanced at the crowd who seemed to be on the edge of their seats.

"My mother."