23.) I have...Lost

Cal

"Most hatred is based on fear, one way or another

"Most hatred is based on fear, one way or another. Yeah. I wrapped myself in anger, with a dash of hate, and at the bottom of it all was an icy center of pure terror."

- Laurell K. Hamilton, Guilty Pleasures

"Down that alley over there." Tris' mother pointed across, I nodded and glanced behind at Tris. "You two move ahead, I'll cover." I notified them as I wiped the tears from my cheeks and checked the ammo in the gun. "Cal..." Tris called, I picked up my head and looked at her as she stared at me.

"We're going to get through this." I reassured her.

"Go!" I said to them both.

The two run out into the street and a car immediately spots them, so I began to shoot at them. Although, I did my best to aim at their shoulders or feet, they were brainwashed after all. I glanced at Tris and her mother as they ran, suddenly, Tris' mom gets hit and I ran across the street while shooting. Their bullets miss me by inches and I am forced to slide behind the walls were Tris was.

"Mom?" Tris said, I turned my head and see her mother laying on the ground with a bullet wound on the side of her abdomen. "No." Tris muttered, the men kept shooting, so I peek around the corner while using the wall as my shield and returned fire.

"Mom! No...Mom!" Tris wept, I dodged a bullet when I took cover and I ran out of ammo. "Mom? Mom, wake up! Mom!" She cried as she held onto her mom.

The pain in her voice, it was heartbreaking to hear.

"Wake up! Please, don't leave, mom!" She sobbed as she held on tightly to her, I glanced around the wall and see them closing in. "Make them stop! Please stop!" Tris screamed, I stood up from the ground and quickly kneel next to her.

"Make them stop, Cal...Please. Please!" She cried, I take in a shaky breath and gently grabbed her bicep. "Tris, we have to go." I said to her, her teary eyes looked up at me and I did my best to not break down again. "My mom..." She said, I looked down at her mother who passed away in her arms and I looked back up at her. "I'm sorry, Tris. We have to keep moving." I whispered to her, she hiccuped and looked down at her mother.

"Mom, I'm sorry." Tris said setting her down then picked up the gun.

"Come on, this way." I said offering her my hand, she did not hesitate to take it and we both run down the alley.

I opened the door near the end and we both run in, I closed the door behind us and leaned my back on the wall. Tris leans on the wall next to me and slid down to sit on the ground, I looked at her and kneeled beside her.