We Know the Way

🐬

A large boat sails over a wave, crashing down steadily on the other side. Groups of people sailed on multiple boats, all working together with their Chief keeping watch.

[Xx]Tatou o tagata folau..-he sings, gesturing to the distance- E vala'auina!..

Boats sail across the great water, the waves moving gently and the sky above bright.

[Xx]: E le atua o le sami lele eo mai!. La ava'e le lu'itau, e lelei!...

Men balance on the side of their boat to tilt it back in place, using the ropes as support before tying it down.

[Xx]: Tapenapena!.. 

Children laugh as they feel the breeze, one peeking over her friend and the other lowering her hand in the water. She gasps, pointing to dolphins as they travel ahead. 

[...]: Holoholo vaka..-Men chant as they stable themselves, finding the direction with their hands-

Aue, aue! Nuku i mua!..

They sing together, the waves moving in the distance gently.

Te manulele a takai e!..

Water splashes onto some people, making them laugh as they face ahead.

Aue, aue!..

A woman helps a man balance on the side of the boat, tipping it back into its correct position.

Te fenua te malie...

🐬

Later a storm hits, as they continue to sail.

Nae ko hakilia, mo kaiga e!..

🐬

[Xx]: We read the wind and the sky when the sun is high!..

A woman pulls on a rope to adjust the sail, nodding with a smile as she looks up at the sun. People lean over the side of their boat, smiling as they dip their hands into the water as they sail.

[Xx]: We sail the lengths of the seas... On the ocean breeze!..

The sun was now set, bright diamonds littering the night sky and the moon giving them light.

[Xx]: At night we name every star!..

A shooting star falls across the sky, the Chief moving to the front of the boat and raising his hand to the sky. He uses the stars and angles his hand, finding the correct way with a small grin.

[Xx]: We know where we are. We know who we are, who we are!..

🐬

Aue, aue!..

The Chief notices a seagull, the others notice in excitement, eager to get to the new island.

[Xx]: We set a course to find, a brand new island everywhere we roam!..

People crowd their Chief, patting his shoulder and cheering when they see the island in the distance.

Aue, aue!..

They start to dock on the new island, the greenery welcoming them.

[Xx]: We keep our island in our mind... And when it's time to find home... We know the way!..

Aue, aue!..