Chapter 21

He stares at me as if he has seen an alien.

Did I have something on my face?

I immediately throw my hand on my face trying to find something wrong.

"W-what? What is it?" I ask embarrassed.

He seems to realize something I don't know and I was starting to feel more and more embarrassed about this situation.

"Oh no, it's nothing, I'm sorry ...." he says shyly "I was just ... Never mind" he laughs shyly embarrassed.

So I shrug slightly, but before I could say anything he spoke.

"I never noticed that scar" he says.

I frown.
What scar is he talking about?
Don't tell me my tears have dissolved my makeup so much and uncovered my bruises!
Shit, please don't.
Please, please don't.

"The one on your eyebrow" he indicates "it's so small" he laughs.

THANKS GOD.

I laugh slightly "Yes ... I was 2 years old and I was running around the house before ending up in the corner of a window" I laugh at the memory.

Life was still good at that time.
My parents weren't divorced and I still had my father.
Little did I know it was all about a lie.

He laughs slightly, pointing to his eyebrow.
I look closer just to see a small scar just like mine.

"I did it too" he laughs "I just couldn't sit still! I was always running around. Once I fell and ended up in the corner of the table and I did this to myself.
You should have seen my parents' face. My father ran to collect things and to call people.
He was so worried, trying to medicate my cut as I screamed at him" he chuckles a little as a tear run down his cheek.

I was shocked.

"I didn't know what was going on but they took me to the hospital where another doctor put the stitches as my father was too involved.
Now I understand why he was so worried, a 3 year old boy hitting his head on a table is not the best thing, but despite everything he was still there to make me laugh through the pain and the fear” he smiles at the memory as he continued to stare into space.

"Is your father a doctor too?" I kindly ask.

"Yeah ... yeah, it was.
A surgeon actually.
He was the best doctor ever. And it was the best 𝐦𝐚𝐧 ever.
Always kind, always so thoughtful and understanding. He was always there for my mom and me, even with his full time job.
He made everyone laugh even in the scariest and saddest moments.
I also saw how he treated patients, so kind and so patient, trying to improve those people not only physically, but mentally as well. He taught me a lot" he smiles as another tear falls.

I did not know what to say....
He said "he was" ....
It is a past.

"Looks like an older version of you" I smile slightly.

He looks at me with a hopeful expression.

"Do you really think that?" he asks, sniffing a little.

My heart was melting.

"Of course I do Luke. You are the kindest and most caring person I've ever met. I don't think there are still people like you around" I say honestly.

He smiles slightly and looks down again taking a deep breath before looking up to wipe away the tears as he bursts into laughter.

"I'm sorry" he laughs "I might as well be nice but I'm definitely emotional" he continues to laugh a little.

I smile slightly as I put my hand on his.

He looks at our hands before he could speak again.

"My dad ... my dad is not here anymore" he takes a breath.

I look at him with tears in my eyes.
He almost seems to be able to read my mind because immediately says

"a car accident .... But that's not the point. I always promised him that I would take care of my mom, and I would be like him. But I'm nothing compared to him" he shakes his head, smiling slightly.

"Don't say that" I speak with confidence "I can't explain many things, but I need you to trust me on this, okay?
You are the most amazing person I have ever met.
Thinking about the fact that I hated you a week ago is insane.
Nobody has ever taken care of me like you did, even if you've known me for less than a week.
No one has ever been so patient with me with my fear.
No one has ever even remembered what I do and what I eat during the day so they can make sure it is safe.
Who else would answer the phone at 1:20 am and pick up a girl who was alone and scared on the street?
Nobody Luke. Nobody" I tell him meaning every word.

I never expected that from him.
I always thought he had the perfect life.

Nice family, nice body, nice mind.
But I guess I was wrong.

He looks at me with his glossy eyes and after a few seconds of silence he pulls me in a big, tight, warm hug.

I hold him tight.
He seems to need this.
And I needed it too.

"Thank you Charlie" he whispers in my ear.

I hold him tighter as he says it.

We end up lying down on the sofa a little longer still holding each other and, I don't even remember how, I think we fell asleep...

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞
Hiii everyone! I'm still alive, a little busy, but still alive!
Don't worry, the story will continue!

For everyone who tried to guess the last time... I'm Italian!!! So you can understand better my timezone.

Anyways thank you to everyone of you for your support.
I hope to read as many comments as possible! I love reading your opinions and questions.

I hope you all are having beautiful days! Stay safe♡︎