Chapter 10 Lady of the Hour

Start from the beginning

"If you are." she said. She squeezed her purse to relieve her nervousness as she nodded.

The party hall was exquisitely decked in gold and midnight blue with metallic colored balloons and glittering drapes lit by spotlights. Laura got an inkling why her stepfather sent the blue dress – she would have been a perfect match with the decoration. She shrugged glad she didn't wear it.

"Are you cold?" Ji Hoon asked, feeling her shudder.

"No, I'm fine." She replied. "I should probably find my stepfather –"

"Miss Laura." Andrew appeared in front of them. He looked at her dress.

"You didn't wear the blue dress? Not that you don't look lovely but..." Andrew trailed off muttering something inaudible.

"Andrew, I'm glad you're here. I was just looking for my stepfather." Laura said. Andrew looked apologetic.

"I'm sorry Miss Laura, he couldn't attend. He's rather busy at the moment because of the renovation project and he's still not up to a social gathering since he collapsed a few weeks ago." He said. "But he sends his regards and hopes you will enjoy the party. He made sure it was thoroughly secure and even banned photography since it's a private event."

"Okay." Laura said her shoulders slumping. 

"I only dropped by to give my regards, I must return to Mr. Talavera. Many happy returns, Miss Laura." Andrew said and bowed out. Laura immediately turned away to the buffet table, Ji Hoon trailing behind her.

"I'm sorry." Ji Hoon said softly over the music. Laura spoke without turning to him.

"Pathetic, aren't I? Anyone would think so. I'm at a party full of people I barely know, my mom's in Australia and my stepfather didn't even bother to show up at the party he threw for me." she squeezed the table cloth.

"What's so great about being an heiress? I can't even be around the people I love, my family, friends..." She said dejectedly. Ji Hoon reached out for her hand.

"I know I might not be any of those, but I'm here for you. If you need a friend, you have me. I promise." He said. She looked up at him with a teary-eyed smile.

"Thank you, Ji Hoon." She said.

"And I don't think you're pathetic. I think you're brave and strong. Not to mention beautiful." Ji Hoon said, matching her smile. Laura patted his arm.

"You sure know how to flatter someone." She said.

"I mean it." Ji Hoon said with intense eyes. Laura was captivated by them for a moment before turning back to the food for a distraction.

"I'm so hungry. I need some meat canapés real bad." She said scanning through the hors d'oeuvres. Ji Hoon quickly assembled a plateful for her.

"For the lady." He said with a flourish. She laughed.

"Why thank you kind sir." She said. She let him put one in her mouth and savored the taste.

"Oh that's good meat." She said. Ji Hoon smiled to himself. Another thing we have in common – being gogi lovers, he thought.

"There's cake too. Wanna sneak a taste in before the main cutting ceremony?" Ji Hoon asked, indicating the large white and gold cake with the gilt covered numbers 'twenty two' on top.

"Think anyone will notice?" Laura said with a mischievous sparkle in her eyes. 

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the birthday girl herself." Luke Wetmore's creamy voice interrupted them. Laura turned to him and paled. Ji Hoon shook his head.