Chapter 13- Indeara Isn't Crazy

Sedine lay awake in the forest outside the village of Kestrel, listening to the soft breathing of her human friends, and Pinky's grunting snores.

I'm lucky to have them, she thought, finally deciding to enter the dreamscape.

She met with Cadence first, back in Blackhall's library.

"There's something I forgot to ask you last time I was here." She said. "Have you ever heard of the letter 'ko'?"

"Ko?" Cadence said. "Yes, I have actually."

"So it does exist." Sedine said, relieved.

Yay, Indeara isn't crazy.

"Although I want to know where you're encountering archaic letters from the Telare alphabet." Cadence said.

"A note my travelling companion was carrying."

"Strange." Cadence said. "And she knew how to read it?"

"Yes. It didn't make any sense to me, though. She seemed sure of what it said."

"Be careful, Sedine." Cadence warned. "Something seems wrong about that."

"I can take care of myself." Sedine promised.

"I know you can."

"Any news about the asshole association?" Sedine asked.

"Darren left the Zircon a few days ago." Cadence said. "The other three are still here."

"Dammit! I was hoping at least Salazar would leave!" Sedine cursed.

"Perhaps Darren expected a trick."

Considering that I'd rather die than ask any of those bastards for help, any of them would have suspected a trick. Even an idiot like Ryle.

"I don't know the exact whereabouts of any of the other three." Cadence said apologetically.

"At least one of them is gone." Sedine sighed. "See you later. And tell Aurora I said hi."

"Good night."

She shifted out of that dream, and into one of her half-sister on her mother's side.

Camellia was only five, and she'd only met Sedine once. She also didn't know they were siblings, or about Sedine's powers. She'd just assume that this was a normal dream.

Sedine just wanted to make sure that she was okay. That Salazar hadn't found a way to harm her, despite the protection of the Asher couple and Sedine's step-father.

Camellia was in the midst of an innocent dream of a tea party. Enormous cats lay upon the tea table, lapping up saucers of milk, and sitting on Camellia's left was their mother.

A lump rose in Sedine's throat at the copy of the woman.

So many things I wish I could have said to you...

"Is there room for one more?" Sedine asked, smiling at her little sister.

"Sure!" Camellia said. She poured Sedine a cup of bright purple liquid that Sedine was sure wasn't a color found in any actual tea.

"Thank you." Sedine said. "Are you having fun?"

"Of course! I've got mommy, and my best friends, and even sweets," Camellia said.

"Alright, continue on." Sedine said, reaching over and gently ruffling Camellia's feathery brown hair.

It was a color that she shared with their mother. Sedine, unfortunately, had inherited her father's pale blonde hair.

Maybe if I'd gotten mother's coloring instead he wouldn't have dragged me off.

The only good thing about the color is that it's easy to dye.

"Bye-bye!" Camelia called.

Maybe one day, when all of this is over, I can officially introduce myself as her sister.

For now, its better that she had less connections to me.

She made one less stop, and stepped into the dream of Basil, the first friend and ally she'd made after escaping the Malachites.

For the purpose of this visit, it would probably better to visit his boss, Regis, but Sedine felt like she needed to see a more comforting face.

He was sitting on a creek bank with a fishing pole in hand.

"Sedine?" he asked, jumping up. "Is it actually you?"

"Yes, it's me." She said.

He flung his arms around her. "Have you been alright?"

"I've been alright." She said. "How are Justin and the others?"

"They're doing great." Basil said, releasing her and stepping back. "We all are."

"I need a favor from you." Sedine said.

"What kind of favor?" Basil asked.

"Darren Malachite has supposedly made a trip to Reganne." She said. "I need you to keep your ears open and tell me if you hear news of him returning to Zircon."

"Sedine, what did you do." Basil said.

"I've just been up to a little mischief." Sedine said, smiling.

"Well, keep it up. And don't worry about it, I'll be waiting with any news about them that I can gather."

"Thanks, Basil. I don't know what I'd do without you." She said.

And truly, she didn't.

When she'd first joined Regis Asher's road crew pretending to be a mute boy, he'd been one of the first to realize she was actually female, and had helped her disguise that fact without her even knowing. When Salazar and Ryle had begun travelling with the crew across Zircon in hopes that by visiting nearly every town in the country they'd find her; Basil and Justin had realized her true identity, and had always been ready with some excuse to get her away from their eyes.

He'd even helped get her to Blackhall Academy without her two enemies realizing her true identity.

She still thought that Salazar might have suspected that the mute boy was her, but she didn't know for sure. She hadn't used a male disguise since just in case.

Sedine wasn't as worried about being recognized now. Yes, a four-hundred pound sow wearing a sweater trotting alongside her would stand out. However, her most distinctive feature, her pale blonde hair, was covered up with dye currently. She'd just look like any of the other thousands of black-haired Zirconian women.

Out of anyone of the three humans in their group, Indeara would stand out the most because of her height. But Salazar and the others wouldn't look twice at a tall woman. They were looking for Sedine, who stood a few inches shorter than the average Zirconian woman.

"Alright, I'm gonna go get some real sleep. Take care." Sedine said, snapping out of her musings.

"You too, Sedine." Basil said, clapping her on the shoulder.

She managed to exit the dream without waking any of the others up this time. She turned over in her blankets, and drifted off to sleep.