Chapter 9-They Got Away With It

The first two nights back in Zircon, Sedine was too on edge to dream-visit, instead falling into a deep sleep as soon as she lay down. Her plan to lure her cousins out of the country was one she'd rather enact when she was a few towns into Zircon's border, and the matter about Indeara's strange alphabet wasn't that pressing.

That night, she visited Darren's dreams first, being careful to make her dream form look disheveled and dirty.

"Darren, listen closely." She said urgently as soon as he faded into existence. "I'm in Loann. In a town near the Reganne border called Varus. I'm to be executed in a week's time."

"What?" Darren said.

"Please, you have to send help." She begged.

"My how fast your heart changes, cousin." Darren said.

Sedine was tempted to punch him. She knew from experience that wounds sustained in dreams carried over to real life.

Salazar had taught her that.

"Just last week, you tell me to cease my search, and now you beg for your life."

"I don't trust you, but you're my last hope!" Sedine whispered.

She looked behind her, and made it look as if someone had woken her and yanked her from the dream. In reality, she woke up, panting. Pinky cracked one eye open at her, but none of the others reacted.

"You alright?" Pinky asked.

"I'm fine." Sedine promised, and flopped back into her blanket.

This time, she visited Cadence.

"I've been waiting for a visit." Cadence said. "I've got bad news."

"What is it?" Sedine asked, immediately on alert.

Please don't let it be Aurora.

"They've closed the investigation on your mother's murder, Sedine."

"Then..." Sedine said, voice cracking. "Ryle and Salazar got away with it?"

Cadence nodded, her eyes full of concern.

"Fucking hell." Sedine murmured.

She wasn't sure what reaction she wanted to have. Part of her wanted to enter Salazar's dreams and stab him over and over, until the bastard died, and then do the same for Ryle. Another part of her just felt cold and numb. She felt as if she should be in tears.

She'd put off her mourning for until she could make those two monsters pay, which evidently wasn't going to happen now.

I'm sorry, mother. I abandoned you, and in the end, I failed to bring them to justice. I truly am the worst daughter.

When Sedine was twelve years her old, her half-brother, Sebastian Malachite had died suddenly in a carriage accident. His twin, Marissa, had gone into a shock, fallen ill, and died not long after, leaving the Duke of Malachite heirless.

His wife had died several years prior, and he had no intention of marrying again.

It was then that he remembered his illegitimate daughter, and came to claim her. That was the day that Sedine's true troubles, that had eventually led her to flee for her life, had begun.

And she had never gotten to see her mother again.

"Just... tell me what we can do." Cadence said softly. "You're welcome to back to Blackhall, if you need to."

"Thanks." Sedine said.

It was a tempting offer, to go back to her safe spot, and the comfort of two old friends. But she was afraid she may react the way she had when she'd initially learned of her mother's death if she had too much time on her hands; in a way that would put her in danger.

And, she'd already made Indeara a promise. She may as well see that through.

"But I'll be continuing on my journey." Sedine said.

"What even is in Jethro's Peaks that is important enough to put yourself in danger?" Cadence asked.

"The Weavers."

"Weavers?" Cadence said. "There are weavers everywhere, you don't need to go clear out there."

"Not that kind. Think 'capital W' Weavers." Sedine said. "Some sort of legend."

"I've never heard of that one." Cadence said. "But it's not like I'm a folklorist. But... chasing a mere legend?"

"A trusted friend put me on this quest." Sedine defended herself.

Or at least, he sent Indeara to me.

"I'll try and look into it." Cadence said.

"Also, keep your ears open for news about those assholes." Sedine said. "Hopefully, at least one will be leaving the country soon. Do me a favor and tell me which."

"Not a problem." Cadence said.

"Anyway, I'm gonna go get some actual sleep. This has been a stressful night."

"Sleep well." Cadence said.

But Sedine couldn't sleep after she exited the dream. There were too many thoughts and emotions surging within her.

She wanted to find a way to kill both Ryle and Salazar, but attacking them within a dream was impractical. Any weapon could easily be turned against her, like it had the first time she tried that.

Subconsciously, she rubbed at the thin scar on her neck.

She wanted to kill Darren too, for his involvement protecting Salazar. And Fayen, for keeping his fucking mouth shut every chance he had to redeem himself.

Sedine wanted to find her father and kill him too, if he was still alive, for tearing her away from her mother. For keeping her trapped in the Malachite Manor, and refusing to let her visit her mother, or even send letters to her. Five extra years, Sedine could have had with her mother. Or probably forty, if the asshole had just decided to keep ignoring her existence, as he'd always done. She hadn't even been a good replacement for Marissa, so what even was the point?

"Are you alright?" Indeara murmured. Sedine hadn't even noticed the other girl sit up.

"Not really." Sedine said, her voice shaky in her ears.

She noticed the wetness on her cheeks for the first time.

"Just got some bad news" she said. "My mother was murdered, around a year and a half ago, and the ones who did it have officially gotten away with it."

"Have you found a new way to punish them, if the law won't do it?" Indeara asked.

"Not yet." Sedine said, stifling a sniffle.

"You will." Indeara said solemnly. "And when you do, I promise to you that I will be by your side, carrying it out with you."