Chapter 12-Lace

Kaedwyn found herself walking off her meal with her companions with her friends. They were currently strolling in front of a shop front, pointing at some of the oddities in the windows.

A woman who wore her platinum blonde hair in a long braid stood in front of a shop noticed them, and waved them over.

"Hello, are you travelers?" she asked in a friendly way that reminded Kaedwyn of Allie.

"Yes," Allie said, in an equally friendly tone.

"Ah, I thought so!" the woman said. "I'm Lace of the Verity Coven. Care to step inside our shop and take a look? Perhaps get your fortunes told?"

A coven? It's been a while since I've seen one.

Of course, I've done my best to stay away from witches so my pursuers will stop assuming I am one.

"Sure!" Allie said.

Lace's gaze fell on Isaan, and her eyes went wide.

"Oh my." She breathed. "That is... quite the curse!"

"Curse?!" Allie said, more loudly than Kaedwyn thought felt safe.

"We'll talk about that later." Kaedwyn said, hushing her. She turned to Lace. "We'll come in."

"Yes, excellent," Lace said, her worried gaze still on Isaan.

She ushered the four of them in and sat them down in a curtained off room full of sofas.

"Are you alright with everyone else knowing?" Kaedwyn asked Isaan quietly.

"I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of." He said.

"I can't tell the true nature of your curse due to my power's limitations," Lace said, leaning closer to Isaan. "But I can tell that the magic on you is strong, and not liable to wear off for years. Maybe not even within your lifetime."

Isaan's face fell.

"But," Lace continued. "this is going to sound strange, but I don't think it's exactly a malevolent curse. I don't feel that kind of energy from it."

"I'm sorry, but how can a curse not be malevolent?" Kaedwyn said, glaring at the woman.

"It happens occasionally. For instance, the caster could have been hired to give the curse as a punishment from someone else." Lace explained.

"Hm." Isaan muttered, frowning.

Does it have something to do with that person he told me about, Deled?

"You also have a second spell on you." Lace said. "Not a curse."

"I do?" Isaan asked.

"Yes." Lace confirmed. "It's on the back of your neck."

She gave him a hand-mirror that he used to examine a pyramid of three dots on the back of his neck.

"Can you tell me what it does?" Isaan asked her.

"If you will allow me to touch it, I may be able to." Lace said.

He nodded his consent, and Lace gently laid her palm against the back of her neck.

"It feels like a binding spell." Lace reported. "It binds you to two others, and they to you, though the bond is now weak."

Probably because of his curse, Kaedwyn noted.

Isaan met her eyes. "Do you think the bindings are related to the person I'm supposed to be finding?"

"Probably." Kaedwyn said.