Epilogue

Four Months Later
Christmas Day

"I'm ready, Elliot."

I continued to carry presents from the table to the tree, setting them up around the bottom. "Ready for what? Presents? I know I slacked on getting the tree done. That's my bad."

When Stella woke me up in a very good way this morning, we ended up staying bed a little bit longer than I anticipated. It resulted in me falling behind with getting the tree finished and getting the turkey basted and in the oven.

I felt a little bad about it at first. But then again...this morning with Stella? It was very nice. If she wasn't with Poppy right now, I would go find her and repeat how this morning went.

Marcus followed behind me. "I'm ready to move out."

Well didn't that stop me cold. Even though it had been rough for all of us after Abby passed away, we found a rhythm while he and Poppy lived with us. We became a family. A unit. Hearing those words leave Marcus' mouth almost made my heart stop.

"What?"

The look on his face was resolved. It was clear he'd been considering this for awhile now.

"I'm ready, Elliot," he said softly. "I want to take this step with Poppy. I found a place big enough for the two of us. Two bedrooms." He glanced away. "And I think...I think it's what Abby would want."

I cleared my throat once. Twice. A third time. "That's good, man. I'm really going to miss having you guys here."

Marcus clapped me on the back before saying with a smile, "Don't worry, Elliot. We won't be far. The place I found is two streets over."

That made me feel a little better. Stella wasn't the only one who got attached to Poppy. I was so used to seeing her every day.

"Have you told Stella?" I asked.

His expression changed drastically to one of fear. "Shit. No, I didn't."

"She isn't going to like it."

"I know."

"She going to-"

"I know."

I shrugged. "I'm just saying...Good luck, brother."

He was going to need it. Just like the rest of us, Stella was wrapped around that little girl's finger. The only chance Marcus had of making it through this alive by telling Stella was that he wasn't moving far away.

Thank God.

"How do you feel about today? Nervous?"

"I feel good." I shot him a look. "Just like you, ready. This feels...right. Everything with Stella feels right."

As if on cue, Stella came into the living room with a smiling Poppy in her arms. At almost six-months-old, Poppy was looking more like Abby every day.

"Someone is getting anxious for presents," Stella quipped. "You boys almost ready?"

Marcus arched a brow at me. "Elliot?"

I looked from Marcus, to Stella, then back again. "Yeah, of course. Ready."

"Great! Because I can't keep trying to explain to this angel that we needed to wait to open presents. She's ready."

Stella carried Poppy over to the couch and sat down. Suddenly my palms got sweaty. My mouth got dry.

Marcus came and stood next to me. "Like I asked you before, nervous?"

"Yeah. I mean, no. I don't know."

Suddenly I could barely think straight. I couldn't focus on anything but Stella.

"Don't be nervous," Marcus advised me quietly. "You have no reason to be. Look at that woman. She loves you. You got this."

When Stella looked over at me with those ocean blue eyes and smiled, all that nervousness melted away. Marcus was right-I had nothing to be nervous about.

Once we all took our seats in the living room, Marcus took Poppy from Stella and sat her on his lap. She opened her presents first, of course. Well, Marcus kinda opened them for her. Next it was Stella's turn.

When I reached for the gift bag under the tree, I glanced to my best friend who nodded, reassuring me that this was supposed to happen. It was right.

I handed her the gift bag. "Merry Christmas, baby."

"Merry Christmas, Elliot."

She took the bag from me and sat it on her lap. I held my breath as she took the tissue paper out and set it next to her on the couch. Then she pulled out that little black box...

Her eyes met mine. I saw the surprise and shock in her gaze. Then she opened it-and gasped when she saw my mom's ring.

Already on one knee, I reached out and took the box from her.

"My beautiful Stella. The first time we met, you insulted me. Then the second time, you hit me with a frying pan in our cabin. We've overcome a lot of obstacles to be together. Not to mention, we've both been though hell."

"Isn't this supposed to be romantic?" Marcus teased.

Stella chuckled through watery eyes and I ignored him.

"Through all of that, Stella, I never stopped loving you. Even when I wasn't sure I would ever see you again. Even when you didn't remember me. I would go through all of that again if I knew it would bring us to this day. You're my lover. My family. My true north. And above all else, you still remain the Stella I remember. So what do you say, baby? You wanna be my wife?"

She got on her knees in front of me, tears streaming down her cheeks. Then she grabbed my face with both hands and kissed the hell out of me. "Yes, Elliot. I want nothing more than to be your wife-to be the Stella you remember..."

***

Thank you again for reading this! I can't believe it ended. I absolutely love these characters.

Now for the announcement!

I have decided to do a trilogy for these amazing characters! The next book will be Stella and Elliot falling into their new life as a couple living alone and getting ready for the wedding. We will find out more about her early life and her parents.

The third book will be for Marcus! It will take place a few years after the 2nd books and Marcus will finally be happy again.

In the meantime, I will be finishing Falling Into Place and getting more of Heartstrings done. After FIP is done, I will try to get What's Next (the final book in the What If series) done before starting Running To Him (Jamie and Ollie). Then after those...I have new WIPs!

You guys are awesome!

xoxo