1| It's Always About A Girl

Warped Tour 2001
New Orleans

It was about a girl.

I knew without a doubt that this was all about a girl.

It was always about a girl.

"What the hell do you mean you can't make it to Warped Tour? I'm standing outside the front entrance holding your ticket right now."

I waved the paper around even though I knew my best friend on the other line couldn't see me.

"The expensive ticket I bought for you!" I added.

Marcus sighed into the phone. "Look Elliot, I'm sorry. I would be there if I could."

"Uh-huh. What's her name?"

"Why do you think it's about a girl?"

I scoffed and leaned against the payphone. "It always is with you. And don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. You ditched me on my tenth birthday to go to the skatepark with Ariel. Then there was freshman year, when you made me cover for you with your parents so you could hook up with Mindy Johnson."

"Okay, okay!" Marcus groaned. "Her name is Juliet."

I laughed into the receiver. "I knew it! It's always about a girl." I shook my head. "Still doesn't help me. What am I supposed to do with this ticket? They weren't cheap. And are non-refundable."

"I'm sure you can find someone there who will buy it off you."

I opened my mouth to bitch some more when I heard an angry female voice from the entrance of the festival.

"Check your list again. My name is Stella Amhearst. I just went through here with my ticket that you took from me. You stamped my hand and I went inside."

The attendant looked bored and irritated. "Then where's the stamp?"

The angry brunette held up her hand and showed the back of it to the attendant. "I came out here to use the restroom and it washed off! Your cheap-ass stamps don't work!"

The growing line of concert patrons behind the girl grew longer and longer. And judging by the irritated expression on some of their faces, it was safe to assume that the hold up with entering the event was getting to them.

"I'm sorry, but you'll have to purchase another ticket."

The angry girl ran her hand through her messy hair. "You don't understand, I don't have money for another ticket. I already paid for this concert months in advance!"

The attendant's expression said she didn't give a shit. "There are other patrons waiting, miss. I'll only ask you one more time to please buy a ticket or leave the line. Or I'll have to call security."

With a frustrated huff, the girl grabbed her bag and did as she was told. She stomped her way to the pay phone I had used and threw her bag on the floor by her feet. She closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths.

I glanced down at the extra ticket in my hand then back to the girl. Stella, I heard her say her name was to the attendant. She lifted the payphone from the cradle and rested it between her ear and shoulder. She mumbled angrily to herself as she dug her hands into her pockets and cursed when she didn't find any change. Growing even more frustrated, she slammed the phone back into the cradle.

"What am I going to do now?" I heard her herself.

With my mind made up, I walked over to her.