4| Madame Teresse

"I knew you were the kinda guy who would wait hours for a girl."

Goosebumps rose on my arms at the sound of Stella's voice. But I didn't look up at her. Instead, I kept my eyes on the newest issue of Constantine I recently purchased.

"I was starting to think that you were standing me up."

"Look...I'm sorry I made you wait, but I can't hang out today."

Now I looked up at her. She was wearing a pair of faded denim jeans and a Rise Against t-shirt. Her hair was down and wild-like she had been running her hands through it repeatedly. She still had that same backpack hanging on one shoulder.

But there was something different today.

It was in her tone.

And it was definitely in her eyes.

I slipped the comic back into my bag before I pushed off the fence I was leaning against. "What happened?"

Her eyes flicked to the left briefly as she adjusted her weight on her feet. "Nothing happened. I just-I can't hang out today. I gotta go."

When she turned away from me and started to walk away, I reached out and caught her elbow. I didn't want her to leave. I wanted to spend more time with her.

I had a guess as to what was wrong with her, but I wasn't going to beg her to tell me. Besides, Stella Amhearst seemed like the type of girl who didn't do anything she didn't want to.

She glared at me and tugged her arm out of my grasp. "What do you want from me, Elliot? I'm sorry I can't hang out here today. I have to be back at the hotel in a few hours."

I needed to tread carefully here. As much as I wanted to hang out with her, I didn't want her to think I really was a weirdo.

I took a deep breath before I said, "I'm sorry, Stella. If you want to go back to your hotel and leave me standing here like an idiot, then that's cool. But you look like a girl who craves adventure. You say you have to be back at your hotel in a few hours? Fine. But let me show you around New Orleans before you leave."

She was quiet while she thought about my offer. "Show me around how? We don't walk much in Florida."

"Don't be ridiculous." I fished my keys out of my pocket. "I gotta car."

When Stella eyed the keys, I could tell her interest was piqued. She chewed her bottom lip before she eyed her watch.

"Look," I said quietly before reaching out and tucking her hair behind her ear, "I don't want to pressure you or get you into any trouble. I'd just really like to spend some more time with you before you go back to The Stubborn State."

She chuckled at that. "The Stubborn State? That's a good one." She tilted her head when she asked, "Why me? Why do you want to spend time with me?"

I answered as honestly as I could. "Are you crazy? You are the most stubborn, bossy, angry, petite brunette I've ever met."

"Wow...thanks?"

"But you're also the most unique and eccentric. I've never met anyone like you, Stella."

I knew my words got to hear when she bit back a smile.

"Well you're right about one thing. I am one of a kind." Then she smiled. Finally. "So where are we going on this NOLA adventure?"

I started towards the exit of the festival and Stella fell in step beside me. "First, we're getting some real good. I'm starving, and if you really want to experience NOLA, you need to try some gumbo."