5| You're the Kind of Guy Who...

"What are we doing here?"

I parked my car and unfastened my seatbelt. "It's a surprise."

Stella scrunched up her nose as soon as we got out.

"This place stinks. What could the surprise possibly be? Garbage?"

I grabbed my book bag from the backseat before I stepped up on the sidewalk.

"I know you're saying that because you're still freaked out by that fake psychic, but don't forget that I'm your ride. You might want to be nice to me."

"Oh please," she scoffed as she fell in step beside me. "You wouldn't leave me stranded here."

"Watch me."

"You're not that guy, Elliot."

"Oh, I can definitely be that guy. Especially with tiny snarky brunettes."

Stella pulled me to a stop and I turned to face her. Even the expression on her face was snarky.

"You won't do that, Elliot, because you aren't that guy."

Stella's voice dropped low when she continued.

"You're the type of guy who, instead of selling it, gives a concert ticket worth a couple hundred dollars to a random angry girl outside of a concert. You're the kind of guy who, even though it bothers you, lets that same girl take food from your plate. You're the type of guy who misses out on the concert of the year to take that same random angry girl sight-seeing because she had a bad day."

My heart started to slow down as her words registered. Everything seemed to slow down. It was almost like, in this one second, the word stopped.

My ears started to hum. My heart raced.

There was nothing else around us.

There was no one else around us.

It was just me and Stella.

"If I didn't know better...I would think you're flirting with me, Stella Amherst."

She put her hand to her chest. "Moi? I would never."

"Mhm."

"So what's this surprise, Elliot? A girl can grow old waiting for you."

"Good heavens," he said mockingly. "We definitely can't allow that to happen."

I led Stella past a florist shop and a few other stores that led to the special place I wanted to take her. I used to come here all the time, but haven't had the chance lately.

Once we were just a few feet away, I started to get nervous. I've never brought anyone here before. I would always come here alone when I felt overwhelmed or just wanted some time to myself to think. Now I was here with a girl that I was clearly infatuated with.

I was here with a tiny angry brunette who seemed to have a permanent bitch face right now, too.

And it was adorable.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine," she bit out as she stepped over a large stump. "But let me just say...if you brought me out here to kill me, we are going to have some serious problems."

I snorted at that. "That's definitely not on my agenda."

When we came upon a low hanging tree, I pulled the branches back for Stella to pass through. I followed behind her and waited for her reaction.

Stella's eyes widened with amazement when we got to the clearing. "Elliot...this is beautiful."

"Yeah, it's peaceful. I come here a lot," I said quietly. "Thought you might enjoy it."